UGLY STIK TIGER FISHING ROD

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by waynesburgjay, Nov 23, 2008.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I want to get a tiger rod for my 6500. Any suggestions on which one.
    I need something that can throw a couple ounces of lead plus bluegill.
    I'll be fishing for flats in the 20 - 50 lb. range. I'll be fishing from the bank.

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am looking at them in a catalog seems that you doin,t have alotof choice on length most of them are seven foot. There is a Tiger and a Tiger Lite also a Ugly Stik Custom Rod 7ft. MH. with nine Guides . $54.50 $o.55 cents more than the Tiger 30-60 line cap. Yesterday I saw a 2 piece 12ft. XHD. Tiger Rod With a older 7000 Garcia for $85.00 should have bought it but have to many rods and reels now. I have Tiger that I have had for a while ,doin,t use it much . Seems a little to limber on the end.
    I use Surge rods and a Team Catfish Rod. You can get a AMERICAN SPIRIT CATFISH NIGHT STICK PRO SERIES 7ft. 6 in. MH. 15-40 Lb. line cap. 9 guides + tip $44.50 This would give you another 6in. of length for longer cast. Good Luck

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In the regular Ugly Stik Tiger line, I'd go for the Medium, especially fishing for flats. Anything lighter and you will have trouble flinging that much weight, and the heavier one (Medium Heavy) has a very stiff tip. The Medium will easily handle a 50lb fish, and it is basically the same blank as the Medium Heavy except for the 18 inches or so at the tip. IMO, a more limber tip is usually an advantage when targeting flatheads.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The tiger mh is a good log jam rod so you can host them out, you might want to look at there tidewater series there good rods also or you might want to get a Team Catfish 3/4 ton rod

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    IMO, the Team Catfish 3/4 Ton is a great flathead rod, I purchased a pair of them this fall. I've also got the M and MH Tiger Rods I commented on, and I prefer the action of the Team Catfish Rods for flatheading. But the Tigers will also get the job done just fine.

6. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I gotta go with Harold Jay. I bought 4 of the 3/4 ton Team Catfish rods and they are just what we need. The only thing for you is that they are one piece. If you want to check them out I could meet you somewhere and bring them.

7. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I prefer the tiger lite, 7' heavy, it will work well with 6500 or 7000 reels, I have 7000 on mine. They are my go to sticks and I like them so well I sold all my St croix classic cats, st croix musky, and some custom musky stiks. I use the regular tiger rods also(mostly in saltwater) but I feel that for catfishing the lite is the best

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I briefly fished with the Tiger 7ft Medium one piece this year. I casted up to 4 ounces and 8-9 inch gills with no problem. The medium heavy was slightly stiff . ... Some of the Wal-Marts and a few tackle shops here carry them if you want to have a look see. I bought mine from a local tackle shop. I sorted thru all the Tigers he had and settled on the Medium 7 ft. The decision came between the Medium and Medium Heavy 7ft . The other I felt where too "soft" and the Medium Heavy slightly stiff. This is just my two cents maybe you could call around and see if any of the local tackle shops carry them....If they still open that is....

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I have 4 Ugly Stick Tiger Lites BWCL 2200 7' Heavy Action. Rated for up to 40# line. Love 'em.

10. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    do they make the 20-50lb test rod with the rod holder lock in the bottom?

i bought one the other day from bass pro and they only had one with a rubber butt

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wondering if your talking about the cheaper white Shakespeare Tigers or te burnt orange colors Tigers. I've never seen any Walmarts in Ohio sell anything but the generic $20 white colored spincast Tigers. If your Walmarts sell the true Ugly Stick Tigers, how much are they?

Thanks

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    dont buy any fishing equipment at walmart and you good

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bryan
    Wal-mart around here sells the Ugly Stick Tiger rods for about 55 bucks and they are worth every cent. Bass Pro Shops sells them for about the same. They are tough with a lot of backbone and the eyes are solid.......no inserts to pop out. I use M/H action coupled to a ABU 7000 reels and have no problem hossing out those 50 /60 lb Santee Cooper flatheads. I recently acquired a few of the Ugly Stick Custom rods wich sell for about 20 bucks more than the Tiger series but havent had the chance to put them to use yet. For years I used the white Ugly Stick rods from Wal-mart which cost only about 20 bucks each and they are the reason Ive stayed with Ugly Sticks.........you couldnt beat them for the price.......I never had a fish break one and still own probabally 10 of these.