Ugly Stik Tiger compare to Ugly Cat and Quantum Big Cat rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Jexx, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Jexx

Jexx New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I currently use a Ugly Cat 7' MH rod paired with an Abu 6500, and a 7' H Quantum Big Cat with an Abu 6000, but I'm thinking about upping my arsenal for when I go after the bigger Flatties around this area. If I had to choose just one of those rods, I would say I slightly prefer the Quantum Big Cat. Its a little bit stiffer with a little more backbone, yet it weighs a little less than the Big Cat.

I'd like to try out an Abu 7000C3I, and pair it with an Ugly Stik Tiger 7' MH rod, the problem is I have no local shops within 2 hours of driving distance where I can feel the Tiger rod for myself. And I really hate ordering a rod blindly off the internet or through a catalog without getting to feel it in person.

How would you say the Ugly Cat and Big Cat rods compare to the Tiger in terms of action, backbone, tip flex, and overall weight? I'm just about to pull the trigger and make the order from Cabelas, but I thought I'd see what some opinions are around here first.

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I've got the 7000iC3 reel and I love it.....At this time I've got it on a Jim Moyer "Boss" rod...I've got an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite rod I put my Abu Blackcat on, but haven't got to use either one of them....I love the feel of the Lite Tiger with the cork tape handles....It fits my hands better.....So, the only advice I can give you is on the 7000iC3 reel, you'll love it......Dwight

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have two Ugly Stik Tiger MH and I perfer them over all the other rods for heavy fish. I have a few different rods from Ugly Stik Cats, Catt Maxx, Eagle Claw and Ugly Stik Big Water but none have the backbone of the Tiger. I've looked at and felt of the Quantum Big Cat still like the Tiger better.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I finally got to get out in the yard and throw the "Blackcat" on the Tiger Lite....It's a great setup....Of course, I was useing a 3oz wt on the end, but it would sail.....I'll be glad when I learn to throw and tune the Abu's better.....I need more practice.....Dwight

5. Jexx

Jexx New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is the Ugly Stik Tiger a pretty heavy rod? Like in comparison to the Ugly Cat rods and/or Quantum Big Cats?? For some odd reason I'm just not a fan of real heavy rods, I've felt several and I just didn't care for them.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Tiger rods have a lot of backbone where its needed the most but still flexible enough to take on the biggest flatheads. You can wear down some really big cats with these rods. They are by far my first choice. I use the M/H action for all my catfishing now. I have tried the H action and it is a real brute...........anything under 70 lbs I have all the confidence that the M/H action would handle no problem. Not saying that I catch fish that weigh 70 lbs but i have been know to hang an ole swamp lizard from time to time and one wild hog.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I would recommend the ugly tiger out of the 3 you mentioned but I would also suggest that you check out the Jim Moyer's and the Surge series rods.

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jeff, I agree with what Kevin said. I have all three rods you asked to compare and if I had to pick one to go to battle with it would be the Tiger. I have the 7' Med. action Tiger and it pretty much has the same backbone power of the MH, but the tip is more sensitive for detecting lighter bites. If I could make one change to the Tiger, I wish they were available in a 7'-6" like the Big Cats or 7'-10" like the Surge rods. A little more length in them and they would be the only rod I would use.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also, if you decide on the Tiger and can wait a month to get one, Academy Sports should be having their annual rod sale the middle of July. Last year I picked mine up from them for $40+ tax. You will never get a new Tiger that cheap anywhere! I plan on getting another one when they have the sale to pair up with a Penn 320 GT2 that's waiting patiently for a mate. I've already got one of these combos and I'm very confident in the pair.

10. Jexx

Jexx New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm feeling much more confident now in making the purchase rather than buying a rod blindly without getting to feel it first. From what I've seen so far the Jim Moyer and Surge rods are a little more pricey than I wanted to spend, so I think I'll stick with the Tiger.

I'd consider waiting Brandon, but I've got a $20 off coupon from Cabelas in the mail that expires July 4th, so I'll be using that to make my purchase....plan on ordering the 7' Tiger MH tonight with the Abu 7000C3I actually in about 5 minutes :big_smile:

The hard part is waiting 5 days or so for UPS to deliver ;)

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well guys and gals i recently did a thread about big cat construction , i own or should i say owned a med power rod until just two days ago when mine broke between the third and fourth eyes , yep my fears came to be reality on the water . Any way go with either tiger rod for big cats but know this the tiger lite series rated for heavy action is more like the MH original tiger but no less capable of landing what ever you can hook let your equipment do the job for which it was intended set your drag and play that fish when your able , Which is not often when wrestleing flats out of cover which brings me to reels i own a 7000 and i realize the reel your considering is a couple steps up from my base model and i am not familiar with its capabilities as far as drag or casting but i do know my penns on tiger rods will pull in tree limbs of substancial girth and not break a sweat , my 7000 will not dont get me wrong its a good solid reel but for certain conditions like cover fishing i grab one of many penns but of course thats by choice , thats what i am comfortable with and thats what will ultimately be your deciding factor . Your confidence in your equipment plays a major role .

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The MH Tiger is one great rod for big fish. I have one with a Penn320GT2 and 100# Spiderwire Stealth. I personally do not believe there is a catfish swimming in my neck of the woods that I could not whip. Cover or not and I fish where some beasts have been known to lurk, the Tennessee River. I also have an Abu 7000iC3 on a M action Tiger rod. I wanted a slightly softer tip on this rig just to mainly compare the two. BTW the drag (according to the mfg) on the 7000iC3 is carbon matrix and 35% stronger than the baseline 7000. So with the combo you are talking about Jexx you should be well covered.

Cheez

13. Jexx

Jexx New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well my MH Tiger and 7000C3I should be here Thursday, can't wait to get it all set up and hit the river! I'll post back how I like the setup and if I had any luck or not...even though we've had a ton of rain and I'm afraid my favorite spot is going to be flooded...

Anyway thanks for the replies and giving me confidence to make a blind purchase without seeing the items first hand, but I'm confident now I made a good choice.