Ugly Stik Tiger and BW

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ramon06, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was in a Local Bait shop today and I saw a MH 7ft Ugly Stik BW Line wt 20-50 LB. They also had a M 7ft Ugly stik Tiger Line wt 20-60LB. I thought the Big Water was supposed to be bigger and stronger but the M Tiger was just as thick and seemed stiffer and had a higher line rating. Is it the material the BW is made out of just better and stronger?

2. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I have a BWC 7ft ugly stik tiger med line wt. 20-50lb I bought it about two months ago.I like it so far. I wish I could answer your question.But I can tell you that I caught a 35lb Flathead on it with no problems

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In my opinion, it's the same blank, just different colors. There is a slight difference in the tips, the clear tip on the Big Water is slightly bigger diameter than the Tigers, but from the rod butt to 8" from the tip the rod action and diameter are the same. The Tigers have more guides, and the guides are a different style.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I am not sure either but I have a tiger downrigger rod that is like a noodling rod 8 foot lond and about 10-17 line.I have also seen the BW in some real light actions.I do think you can get the BW in like a tuna stick with 50-80 pound test.I know they make alot of actions in the BW series.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    look for your self see what you think they dont say persay the materal on the bw but im thinking its graphite core fiberglass outer were the tiger is stated graphite inner e-glass outer http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_rods.html the 8' bwb is prob my favorite

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You can also get some in the Bigwater custom series too.Catfish connection carries some and Cabelas carries some.Cabelas are called Dan Herandez customs.They both come with some fancier wraps and more guides.The Dan Herandez customs also some with all stainless guides.I got one of each,nice upgrade for the few extra bucks.:wink:

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you Gentleman, I was just asking because I always wanted a Tiger after flippin thru the site and I was about to buy it yesterday then I noticed the action on it, I dont like using M action rods for big Cats but when I noticed how sturdy it was I thought something couldnt be right unless it was a Saltwater M. Then I saw the Custom and the BW. The Big water was the same size but more flexible up top with a lower rating and I just wanted to make the right decision strength wise as far as fightng Cats. The price was only a $5 difference as the M action Tiger was $54.99 and the MH action Big Water was $59.99. So I ended up buying a 7'6" MH Quantum Big Cat for $40.99 and I found a nice 300yd Spool of 100LB PP in Moss Green they had hiding in the shop for $39.00 so I snatched that up :big_smile:. But I may go back tomorrow for one of those Tigers.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like your srategy Ramon.Buy 1 of each and that way you,ll know you got the one you like!:cool2:

9. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    are all the Big Waters the same diameter at the handle? i have a 6' heavy model and i like it but its too short and i wanted to get the 10'. and how would this rod pair with a 6500?