Ugly Stik Striper rod for Carp ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone think that the white Ugly Stik Stripper rods (6-20lbs line rating) would make a good Carp rod ? Which would be the better choice the 7' medium or 7' med/light ? It says the softer tip won't tear the lips of the Striped Bass, lets the rod "load up" with out spooking fish. and Carp also have soft lips. Would a 7' med/light be to wippy for 5-12 lbs. carp or would the Medium be better suited for the task ? Any advice or opinions welcome.
    -Thanks

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I caught a 20 something lb carp once on one of the med light rods on cut bait while striper fishing and for awhile I thought I had jaws. I think alittle heavier rod would be better for carp. the med light rods I think are mainly for free lining bait so the striper wont feel any resistance. dont think you have to worry about that with carp.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    This can go either way really. If you want more of a challenge you can go with the light but if you land a 20+lb you might be in trouble. The lips of carp aren't as soft as you think and quite thick almost feels like an intertube. I pretty much think you should with the medium. Just my two cents I agree with flathead.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Should be just fine. Ive been using my bass gear for carp up to 20 pounds. I havent had any troubles yet. Then again I love to fish light tackle.

5. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Medium would be better in case you run into a bigger fish. Then again, if you know the fish in your water are smaller then you can get by with medium light. I have a pond at work w/small carp and I use my 7' ultralight and it does fine but those little carp make that line sing!:smile2: