Ugly Stik Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mperry, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Do any of you guys and gals read Field and Stream and if so did you see the article in there about what rod held the most weight before breaking. The Ugly Stik was the cheapest but he used all the weights he had (I think 55 pounds) and still did not break it. I own several Ugly Stiks and love em. What do you think about them and what do you think about the test. Do you think it actually proves anything?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think they are the best, especially the ugly stik tiger rods.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have three that I use right now, love 'em. Can't say much for the weight test. I do know they deliver where it matters, during the fight!

4. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I love my Ugly Sticks. I probably have a dozen of them. I like the Catfish Ugly Sticks for catfishing. I don't have a Tiger rod yet. I need to get one. Next year's project, I guess. I've been using them for about 30 years, can't believe it's been that long.

I saw that article in F & S. I did not surprise me the Ugly Stick did so well. I was surprised that other brands of rods did so poorly.

:cool2:

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm not sure about the test, but I am sure about the confidence I have in my Tiger rod. I currently have only 1, a 12 fter but I would like 2 more in the 7 ft range.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i love ugly sticks and i think they're the best rods ever made....i do think that the test was accurate but there might be some slight variations(line weight or style) but uglies held up to 2X the abuse of the bass rods

7. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    My lovely wife brought me a meduim action Tiger rod yesterday. What a gal!

8. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I just bought 2 of them, and love them

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have two uglysticks ad will get more as the other rods ware out. Right now I am useing the catfish rods and they work grate for what I am catching

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Most Recommended Rod here on the BOC..

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i love my ugly sticks, they are cheap, sensitive and strong as an ox

12. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    Just bought some Ugly Stick Pro Lights very nice rods

13. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have sworn by (not at) Ugly Sick rods for many years. My favorite kind for big cats are the big water (salt water) ones. I have yet to have a fish or myself for that matter break one.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two of the 6.5 foot ones med/hev, I got at Wally world, then I have one 6' med action, no idea where I got it, one 5'6" one and one 4'6" ultra light. Love everyone of them and will get more as time goes on, I hope anyway. I want Tigers next time.

15. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got a ug stk tiger and a ug stk tiger lite both are 7ft these rods are sweet I would recomend them to anyone next rod I want to build

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have a 6'6" hvy action black ugly stik
    and a 7' med/hvy ugly cat ugly stik
    and 2)- 5 or 5'6" ultralite uglystiks
    they are double tough poles no doubt and i too got mine years ago at wally world they cant be beat for the price .
    got my son a whuppin stik for his birthday from cabelas
    its supposed to be a tough pole but its whippy great circle hook pole
    its a med action 8 footer (spinning) got a abu openface to put on it.
    seems the smaller regular ugly stiks are slow action tipped rods.(whippy)
    my hvy action is a fast action tip cause its so fat at the tip.

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now I can't say Ugly Stiks are the best rods ever made. That distinction would have to go to custom made rods.

I can say that I think the Ugly Stiks are the best mass produced rods made. I currently have 4 (15' MH. 12' H, and 2 4.5' UL), and will get more as other rods wear out.

18. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I know that I love my ugly stick and have never had it let me down. Favorite rods ever

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like all three of mine and am looking foward to getting more as needed. maybe I'll try out the tigers and lites next.

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have always had a real love affair with the old Shakespeare Wonderods which were the predecessor of the Uglystik. My problem with the Uglystik up till this year was that they only were available with a sponge handle. I'm an old school cork handle guy and refused to buy an Uglystik with the sponge handle. Well I walk into the local Dick's sporting Goods Store one day about 2 months ago and there it is, a 8 1/2' med. action Uglystik Bigwater Rod with a CORK Handle! I almost cried! I bought 3 of them and love 'em to death! Perfect rod for using circle hooks!