Ugly Stik Catfish Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JustCats, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for info on Ugly Stik Catfish rods. Is anyone willing to guess at the difference in casting distance between a 7' and a 8' rod. I have an Okuma Coronado. Also do the catfish rods come in both one and two piece. Any help is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks
    Tony

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    There probably isn't a huge difference in the casting distance between 7 and 8'. IO'm sure there is some, but I doubt it is huge. The 7' comes as one piece and the 8' in two.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the castring distances really depends on the person using using the rod. I can almost cast my 6 foot poles as far as the 7 foot poles. The difference for me is about 12-20 feet. But my buddy can cast his 7 foot pole futher than his 8 foot pole by about the same distance. Practice is key.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get the 7ft once piece in medium heavy action, trust me you wont be sorry..I have two of them and they are the best all around catfishing rods I have, and I have alot of rods.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, I have one also and definitely think it's the best.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There has been alot of threads on hear about the ugly stik catfish rods, and almost all of them are positive..Here is why I like them.

1. They are tough as nails, you aint gonna break one

2.They have a sensative tip, great for circle hooks as well as kahle of J hooks.

3. Plenty of backbone for bigger fish, but sensative enough were you can feel the smaller cats.

4. they are light weight, which I appreciate after useing much to heavy rods for years.

5. They are farily cheap

6. they cast very well

7. I have used sinkers from 1-0z all the way up to 5-oz with them, I feel 3-0zs is about right.

8. they are ugly stiks, and that says quite alot.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Great post, I feel the same EXACT way!

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are the white ugly cat rods from walmart stiff enough for 40-60lb cats? I looks at the 7ft 1 piece and it seemed small/flimsy

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    flat hunter and zakk, do u gyus both just use the casting or do eithe rof you have experience with a spinning model? thanks

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I bought the 8' spinning rod to use with a spinning reel that I had laying around. Well, that reel took a dump so I put a Garcia 7000 on it & wow does it cast!!!! I can bomb that baby way out in the lake. It's one of my 2 best rods now. I think that rod is made perfectly for catfishing. The guys are completely correct in that it has a very light and sensitive tip, but enough backbone to lean into a bigger fish when needed. My local Wal Mart has been out of them since about May, or I'd have several more.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The casting distance for either rod would depend on the type of reel you're going to use, bait casting, spin cast or spinning. I don't think you would hardly notice the difference if you had the same reel on both length rods with the same weight on the line. You will notice the difference between one piece or two with the feel of the rod.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I forgot to mention that I use two Tiger MH rod's with 7000C3's on them for catfishing and they cast really well and have a lot of sensitivity.

13. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for all the info guys, i am looking to buy my wife her first rod and reel combo and was looking at the white Ugly Stick Combos. and i really trust and value everones opinions so i guess i will get her the ones i have seen at wal-mart next time i am there. if they can handle some of them big fish that flathunter haul in then i know they are good rods. :big_smile:

14. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the info!! I bought my Ugly Stik Catfish rod yesterday. I look forward to trying it out this weekend down at Santee at Canal Lakes. If we catch any I'll post a report. Again thanks for the help!

Tony

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You will like that rod, I promise you. Good luck fishing, hope you get a monster cat to break it in.:big_smile:

16. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i have the ugly cats but like the origanil uglystick better. the eyes on the ugly cat bend to easy and seems like it a bulky rod but thats just my oppinion .

17. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    me and my wife went and looked at the rods and they had some 6.6' rods in the M/H Catfish Rods. So she is gonna get her one of those since it will be just right for her, i will post some pics when she catches her first fish to let you know it holds up.

18. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    man .... there really just isn't much deferance i wouldn't think. let us know if yoy find out

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I have 7 foot 2 piece they are good rods for the price,but the tips are to stiff for my liking.

20. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Shakespeare use to make a 7ft 2 piece stix with Fugi eys and they were double wrapped on the eyes.I was very lucky and found 5 of these rods when they first came out.I think this is the best rods that I have seen from Shakespear.I don't understand why they took them off the market,but they sure made a big mistake when they did.:shame: :confuse: