Ugly Stik Catfish Rod

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IrishO'Brady, Aug 26, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Hey guys- Just got a Medium Heavy 7' (16-30lb) Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish Rod. While I liked the Berkley big game rod the only ones I could find locally were 6'mh or 7'6 m. Although I liked the 7'6 length, medium just had no backbone, and the 6' just seemed too short. The Striper rodwas nice, but it was super duper flippy tip- I beleive it was more for straight downrigging/ suspending live bait at depths- so for once it seems something labeled as speceis specific might actually be right on the money. I put a PENN 209 M on it. I couldnt decide on mono or braid, and as I know the advantages/disadvantages of both, I went with 30lb. Yo-Zuri Hybrid, a copolymer line with flourocarbon shell and nylon inner. Less stretch and thinner than your standard mono, but not quite the stiffness of braid. I think this set up should prove nice, but I still have a lot to learn and any input (positive or negative) would be very good. I do a lot of other fishing, but I'm newer to the catfishing scene. I'm headed to Tennessee river this weekend to hunt for some (hopefully) big cats with this set up and thought it be a good idea to ask the brotherhood for input

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

You are a Jedi Knight. Sounds like you picked up a combo. I hope you enjoy your new rig and catch a monster catfish. Good luck.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is a fine catfish rod for sure, I have two of them and love them.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I use an abu 6000 on a MH7' Abu conolan and for a $30 rod and $55 dollar reel its been almost as good to me as some of my shimano set-ups, and thats shown me a lot about finding affordable(and good!) tackle.its good for my striper fishing but this Ugly cat and 209 is just a lot of muscle for the whiskers... cant wait to hit it this weekend :)

5. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    i have that ugly stick n it's workn great so far

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I love mine, it wont let ya down:big_smile:

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    great rod dont leave home with out it. good luck:smile2:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You bought the best rod made.

I have seven of them.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The ugly Stik is a good rod. Especially for the price. The Big Game rod is a piece of junk.

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A timely post for me. Just getting into the catfishing game. Dug out my old fishing gear. I found a ABU 6000 I've had since the early 70's. Was making the rounds tonight at Wally Mart and the local Gander Mountain shopping rods. Seems the Ugly Stik at $27.00 is the best deal after reading here.

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    yOU CANT GO WRONG WITH AN UGLY STIC, I OWN 3 AND I WOULDNT TRADE THEM FOR ANYTHING

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Best Rod ever for all catfish situations!!!

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I gotta say I like a graphite rod just for being able to feel the fight a little more, but Ugly Cat stick is a total butt whooper- no doubt. I broke it in this last weekend by catching 250lb of cat in 6 hrs. Had a ball

14. Locke

Locke New Member

State:
    IL
    I have an ugly stick crappie pole and it's actually the best pole I own. It's super sensative and I use it for bass fishing as well.

I'll definitely get an ugly stick catfishing rod for the next time I go to Rend Lake. Best rods on the market.

15. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ugly stik is the best rod made!

16. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got two "Big Water" Ugly Stiks and I will put them up against a lot of custom rods that cost a lot more!
    I guess the best endorsement I can give is to say that there will be more Ugly Stiks in my repertoire by next spring!:smile2:
    250 lbs of catfish in 6 hours! WOWSERS!! I bet you DID have FUN!! I also think you might have stopped off and picked up a tube of "Ben-Gay" on the way home for that arm too!:wink: :lol:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

17. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup ugly stiks are the best:smile2:

18. darklight825

darklight825 New Member

State:
    pa
    It's definatly my favorite rod.

19. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I bought one of the 7 ft catfish ugly stiks and bought a cat maxx reel. I spooled it with 25 lb ande. So, i hooked into a massive blue and the rod splintered to pieces at the rods two connecting pieces.

20. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    hey jason,can you take a pic. of that rod?

jerry