Ugly Stik Catfish or Penn Slammer?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Hummers4, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm new to catfishing and need advice on selecting rods. I'll be fishing the James River in Virginia and hear countless stories of 40, 50 & 60#+ cats being caught. I like the idea of the durability of Ugly Stiks' 7' MH Catfish rod (white), but a local tackle shop is suggesting a 6'6" H Penn Slammer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest the ugly stik tiger, or the ugly stik custom...both are stronger rods than the white catfish rod.

dont know about the penn

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I like my Ugly Tiger Lite's.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The ugly stick catfish might be too light for a 50 or 60#

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jack on this one. Ugly Stick Tiger series.

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    IF YOU WANT POWER TO SPARE, AND THE ABILITY TO HANDLE ANY SIZE CATFISH--UGLYSTIK TIGER. THEY RUN ABOUT 70 BUCKS. THE WHITE UGLY STIKS ARE GREAT RODS FOR 5-20LB FISH AND THEY WILL WORK FOR LARGER YOU JUST WONT BE ABLE TO PUT AS MUCH PRESSURE AS THE TIGER. THE FLATHEAD IN MY AVATAR WAS CAUGHT ON A 7FOOT WHITE UGLY STIK.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with the others that the Ugly Stik Catfish is a little tight for fish that size. I've never seen the Penn Slammers, but I know they are a very sturdy rod. Comparable rods in the Ugly Stik line are the Tiger Rods and the Big Water rods, they will handle any catfish that swims in North America.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....The ugly stick catfish might be too light for a 50 or 60#...."

Bull.

Been there, done that, own the t-shirt.

You can land any catfish around with an Ugly Stik medium/heavy catfish rod.

If I can bring in 25-30 pound blues and flatheads on a light spinning rod, an Ugly Stik catfish rod won't have a problem with a 50+ pound fish. Sure, you can put more pressure on them with a Tiger rod, but you can put even more on them with a offshroe stand-up tackle and 130 pound mono. Buy you an electric reel and it is even easier. Forget mono leader, use steel cable.

It all comes down to where do you want to draw the line between sport and overkill.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I also like the tidewater series by Shakespeare ,I have 2 of the cat stik and 2 of the tiger rods and the ones i use is what fish I'm targeting at the time ( i would not use the tiger for skillet fish ) good luck There a lot of good rods on the market just is how munch do you want to spend

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can catch a very large fish on the Ugly Stick Catfish rod, pretty much anything that swims so long as it's the right conditions to fish the rod. I promise you you don't want to use that rod on the James. I fish the biggest tidal river in the state and I doubt it's anything compared to the James. You gotta be able to throw some serious lead and you don't want a noodle rod when you're fishing that current and hook a big one. I've got some Berkley Big Game rods and I've caught some big fish on them but only in the lake. They'll work in moderate current or in lakes and would make a good drifting rod but go with something much more stout.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

Sure it's possible, I've done it myself, but it's not what I'm gonna recommend to someone targeting fish 50lbs and over, especially in moving water.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You might want to take a look at one of those Barbie rods, maybe a Spongebob?
    lol

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Almost forgot..Welcome to the Club Bob

14. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gents!

Thanks for your warm welcome and great feedback! I've decided to purchase the Ugly Stik Tiger and the Penn Slammer...and my daughter's Barbie rod. :smile2: I'll keep you posted on how they perform and their comparison. I really appreciate all the feedback and am glad I've joined your club!

Bob

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have 2 of the Penn Slammer combo's with the 220GTO reels. They hold a lot of line have the power to handle any fish and if your fishing in heavy current the Slammer poles are stiff enough to handle it. I use other poles when fishing in lighter current, but if fishing below the dam and I need to throw a lot of lead it's the Slammers I go too. :wink:

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I currently have 18 Penn Slammers in the white version.I have never had a problem with the rod or fish up to 60lbs.Penn changed the color last year which pissed me off but what can you do.:confused2::wink::angry:They are very good rods for the money and somewhat stiffer than most.I also use them for drift fishing and they work well.8ozs is the typical weight on the James and couple that with 1/2 a big cutter for bait and you need something that will handle that weight plus a very strong current.Add plus 50 fish and I promise you that you will work hard and appreciate a rod with enough backbone.:smile2:I use the 7'heavy version of the rod by the way.If anybody sees any new Slammers in white let me know I will buy them.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are other rod companies out there than ugly stick???? wow you would've never guessed by looking at all of my equipment in the boat and on the wall. And that is including all of my poles for any fishing. So obviously i will recomend going with ugly stick. cant beat them if you tried. And if i ever find a rod that feels as good as an ugly stick in my hands and holds up to big cats and just big fish in general than i will have died and gone to heaven because i feel like im already there when hooked into a hog becasue i know my ugly stick wont fail me.:big_smile:

18. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    i'll tell ya what in the 16 years i've been fishing i have never broken any of my shakespeare rods, i've done stripped the reel broken the line, heard the rod crack(but never broke.) This of course fishing appropriate sized fish with the rod to match. I have broken other brands. I will say this about penn they make a great rod, and reel. most of their products are geared to saltwater but there are a few exceptions. i do have a penn sargus combo a 7'' rod and reel combo that has held up to everything the lake i fish has to throw at it. but overall quality hands down i would go with shakespeare. Also penn and shakespeare have teamed up to make a few combos, that look pretty good. check um out but overall you have to make your own decision of what you feel is right casting out and reeling in:big_smile:

19. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    What tackle shop if it's not green top it don't matter go to green top and ask steave lane he really knows what he is doing i have no idea.

20. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    I will sell you my senator 9/0 and senator 2 9/0 50/80 lb rod