Ugly Stik Advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Douglas Foster, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I have a Abu 6500 Pro Rocket reel that I want to set up for long distance casting. I'll probably fill it with Power Pro #65 line due to it's smaller diameter. After reading the article in the BOC library on casting for distance, I've decided I would like to try a 10' rod. I would like to go with an Ugly Stik, but my concern is that the only one I can find cataloged has a Heavy action. Do you think the stiffness of a heavy action will hinder my casting? Would I be better off going with a 7' medium action Tiger Stik? I appreciate the wisdom of you experiences. Doug

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I would go with the medium action tiger rod, it will throw a bait a mile..With the long stiff rods you will have to use alot of weight to load them up.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The reel and line deserve a heavy action rod, If bankfishing and wanting distance and you can handle the 10 ft rod go for it. I just bought a 10 berkly glow stick not for the glow but the action. I could not find a 10 ft ugly at the time. From a boat 7ft is better to handle, the 10 of mine is just to big for my 16 ft smokercraft.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Doug, it depends on how much weight you want to throw. I just picked up some very economic daiwa surf rods. They handle a lot of weight well but for catchin channel cats they are too much. But they are rated heavy 20-40# 2-8oz. They toss a 6oz and a sinker well.

Tica makes some rods that fit the bill. 15-30# and 10' 2=8oz. or 12-30# 2-6oz.

The best advice i can give you is don't buy some trolling rod or dipsey diver rod, buy a surf rod because they are made for distance. You went and got a nice reel that'll do what you want now you need the rod that matches and it is just as important.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    i have an 8' medium heavy Ugly Stick catfish rod with an Abu 6500C3 on it. Love the combo. It casts well, and is a good compromise for both bank and boat fishing.

6. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    yeah buddy!! Tatersalad is right, those 7' and 8' Catfish Ugly sticks are the bomb with 6500's. A real great bank rod for any channel and the 7' isn't a bad boat rod either. I have one 8ft'er set up with a 7000 too. I've been cleaning all the snags out of one hole I fish in with that set up!

7. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like the ugly stik catfish myself.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I love my Ugly Stick catfish rod. I have it mated with a Shimano baitcaster and its great. I probably buy a few more and put Abu 6500s on them.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The 7-8 footer ugly sticks will be enough pole for you. i have 10 an 12 footers that I only use two places surf fishing and at dams when you have to cast far. Anything over 7-8 foot for a boat get cumbersome and eats up a lot of valuable boat space.

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Depends on the size/weight of the bait you will be fishing the most. And, of course, how far you are wanting to cast, with the weight and bait in question.

You should match the rod and line to what size/weight of bait (and weight of sinker) that you intend to use the most on that particular outfit. Also, if you are going for long distance casting and using some of the power/distance casting techniques, you will need to add a shock leader (do a web search on shock leaders to find out what size to use and how to tie on).

Furthermore, not all rods (even though long) are suited (made for) long distance casting. You might find yourself extremely disappointed with many of the "off the shelf" production made rods.

If you are serious about long distance casting, it would pay you to do some research and also to talk with a custom rod builder who specializes in such rods. But, of course, much depends on what you consider to be "long distance" and how much money you want to spend.

You have a superb reel for distance casting. Now, just match it up with a rod that is worthy of the reel.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it depends on the size of fish you'll be going after....if you're after monsters then i'd go with the 10 footer but for some reason i just never liked the catfish ugly stiks....they just seem too stiff.....but oh well the medium action rod is definitely what i would recommend for you