Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by MoCatfisher, Oct 13, 2007.

1. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Picked up an Ugly Stick today...thought I'd try one since every body is so impressed with them...7' medium action, seems a little too soft, but we'll see...prolly be good for live baits, or livers...

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    That sounds good. Please let us know how it handles for the style of fishing that you do.

-- Rich

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John I have owned may a uglystick nad have never been disappointed with them good luck and let us know how they perform

4. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    i own several ugly sticks and am impressed with them. i find my choice of line needs a lil' work but the rods hold up good under pressure....as a matter of fact i have seen one of my rods this last weekend bowed upped so bad the tip was in the water and the rods still was asking for more(till the line snapped)......

5. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    you know what fellas...I'm a believer as well. ever since starting out I wanted to purchase the minimal amount of gear but be able to do a lot of different types of fishing and conditions...I own a 12 ft and a 15 ft ugly. the 15 is a pure MONSTER!! you gotta have a little meat on u to manhandle it but its well worth it. Sturgeon and Spoonies get their lips handed to them when I'm draggin a #10 treble thru the waters. Cats fiinally get what's comin to them for gourging themselves on my hard caught herring. Bass realize that thiis isn't the Bill Dance show when my #7 sets and the real FIGHT begins. I have bowed these poles millions of times...and only broken two. Great products carry great warrantees...because maufacturers know their products are top of the line. period.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ya ever hear of a drag, John:wink:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They are a bit on the soft side not discounting them. I only have had mine about a month came as a combo that I couldn't pass up. (ugly stik lite 8ft 6 medium heavy 12-25lb)

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on you catch a big one it.

9. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    I own several Ugly Sticks -the medium heavy Big Water line of Ugly Sticks- 7'-0" are far better than the regular line imo. They bult very strong and can handle anything that swims. Handled hundreds of big Carp and several decent size channel cats. Never broke and tough as dirt.:big_smile: Go for it.

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i got a 5'10'' ugly stick and i put an 8'' carp on for bait. man that pole stayed doubled over all night(because of the carp) never got a big ol' fish to bite but hey...the stick never broke. they are one of the best rods in their price range if ya ask me

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I own 2 catfish ugly sticks...medium - heavy action. I caught a 47.9 pound blue cat last night on a bluegill head and a 2 oz. sinker. It was absolutely enough rod. However if you bought one that says striper on it you might want to use it for skipjack or something.

12. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use two different rods for fishing large Channel Cats. The one I like when using circle hooks is the nine foot downrigging rod MH Ugly Stick. I have had these rods loaded to where I feel like I'm fighting with the handle blank and they keep standing up to the pressure.

Attached Files:

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I own two med-Heavy ugly sticks and I really love them.

14. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    uglys are a great rod.i have 8 of them and have never had any problems.i still have my first one that my dad got me for my 14th b-day 20 years ago.affordable-dependable-i have no reason to buy any other rod!

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my personal opinion on the ugly stick is that it would be good for knocking pecans outta the tree here, or whooping a snake to death that crawled in your boat, or it would be good to write ur name in the sand with. The ugly sticks are good for so much stuff except fishing to me.

16. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only ugly sticks I have ever used was the big water 12'H and 12'XH. I fished with each for 1 day and made a bee line to Bass Pro to get my money back. I guess if you fish in calm water and need to cast only 2 or 3oz they would be fine. I fish around Alton dam and usually need to cast 6oz and bait in current. The ugly stick does not have the backbone for it. The rod felt too much like a bull whip.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This is where its imperative to know and understand what and why a rod is made of.
    If I was throwing alot of weight, I wouldnt be slinging it with fiberlgass.

You arent going to get the same "back bone" from a glass rod as you will a graphite rod or a composite rod that weighs in favor of graphite.
    Wrong rod selection doesnt make a rod a bad rod.

Wrong rod selection is as bad as digging a footing with a shovel instead of a backhoe. Wrong tool for the job.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If you read what he said he stated that he had the MEDIUM ugly stick which if its like the one I own its black with gold lettering. I would agree that it would be good for channels and whatnot maybe up to 10lbs. I have the white one also which is MH and it is alot stiffer and would handle (I would think) some pretty big fish and keep the pressure on them. Not to say that it wont since I havnt had the opportunity to try it (I try but I dont catch bigguns...YET). The white one handles fairly heavy sinkers (up to 5oz for me) and casts very well. The black one handles them but not as well its seems better for lighter weights.

From what I understand the Tigers are better and I may get a couple of them next year.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    All it takes me is to look at the company who makes them. Shakespeare is a cheap company that sells cheap products.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    mark j said it. all the uglies arent willows the bwb 1140 7', bwb 1120 8', bwc1100 10', bwc 2201 7', bwc 2202 7' are some uglies that i have used and i know have alot of umph.