Ugly Stick Tiger vs Tiger lite rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Shawn, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone have experience with these? Trying to use some Cabalea's gift cards up, and these look to be the best spinning cat rods they have (unless I want to spend more for a salt striker rod.)

The BWS2200 7' should be about the right action, but I do like a lighter feel in the hand, which makes me think the 7' Tiger Lite would be better, it's rated for up to 40# line and 1-4 oz, hoping it's not too stiff with a flexible tip.

I'll be using as a live bait rod, traditional hook types.

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I think that the actions on the Tiger rods are ok, as is their strength and durability, but the overall size of the grips leaves me cold. They are HUGE. My kids have baseball bats that have barrels smaller than the grips on Tiger rods!

The Tiger Lite rods are another story. They feel like fishing rods, not ball bats. The 7ft heavy action casting rod is as close to perfect a rod that I've had in my hands. I don't fish too much casting gear any more, but I've thought about getting a couple, they are that nice. It would be a great multi-purpose rod for big fish..cats, stripers, muskies, saltwater, with bait and/or artificials.

The 7ft spinning rod is rated the same line/lure, but from what I've read, it's not even close to the same stiffness. Pretty limber and anything heavier than 2 oz is working it hard, from what I've read. I wish I could find one at a store to check it out, but the Bass Pro in Cincy only has the casting rod. I'd try hard to find one to check out before ordering. It sucks if you have to pay shipping both ways on a rod that you don't like and have to return.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have two of the tigers in Med action and they perform above expectations. If you are using the J hooks and will be setting the hooks hard you will want a little stiffer rod. The 2200 is a med/light.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got a 7' tiger lite heavy action casting rod and it feels nice with a big flat on the other end.
    But the spinning models are a lot flimsier as someone has already stated.

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some good info guys thanks... if I order it's in-store pick-up (no shipping). If I check it out and decide not to take, no cost to me. I don't like a rod too heavy, actually.

shawn

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Go ahead and order it then. And make sure you let me know what it's like! :Happy:

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Whatever I do, it will be a new rod for me so I'll post a review....

shawn

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Finally was able to pick that rod up at Cabela's.

The feel is very nice - great balance. Glad I went with the Lite, feels similar to an older MH Shimano graphite casting rod I like. Also, like the smaller cork-taped handle...only thing I would change would be for all the guides to be double-footed.

It's rated something like "Heavy 14-40# line"...I'd compare it with 12-25 or 15-30 rated MH rods I have (which is about what I was looking for...) That's the type of action I like good for flatheads, not too heavy for all around channel/flathead use. The moment of truth will be when I get a big fish on...more to come..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The 6'6" MH TigerLite is my 'heavy' rod, and I fear no North American catfish encounter that will exceed the capability of this rod.
    I fish out of a boat usually on lakes, so long distance heavy weight casting is not a factor.
    ABU6500/30lb.mono/2oz. lead carolina rigged/ sometimes KatBobber. This season I may try some 1.5oz. weights.

10. yellowcat007

yellowcat007 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anybody else using the tiger lite rods in the 7' casting model? thinking about using these for flathead fishing.

11. kraftjd

kraftjd New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They should do the job fine bro. Ugly stick tigers are old faithful in my book