ugly stick tiger rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    while watching more than a few shows (fishing of course) i notice these rods being used in there intended enviorment the salt for some quite large species and some of our north america fresh water giants as well , how many of you have put these rods through the paces on larger fish and if so how large have you landed ? And the rest of you that use rods by other makers please feel free to brag on your other types of fish that would impress the rest of us caught on your prefered catfish rod , salt or fresh water species .

2. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    in my opinion the best cat rod,i like the solid backbone with a soft tip for live bait and alot of heavy eyes.also one thing i look for is the reel seat with a solid mount in the front with the adjuster on the rear.teamed with a calcutta 700,its a bad combo.my biggest is a #45 flathead.

3. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    All i can tell you about the tiger rods is that hey-operator has broken 2 a brand new, one 1st time out and the replacement they sent to replace it. 1st time out, or maybe second. I use to use them alot and have the older ones an actually caught a 17 pound channel on a :roll_eyes:uglystick ultralight, bent it clear in half, but the new one are Japan or some forien place and I dont put much stockin them anymore

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I use alot of different ugly sticks biggest one on a mh tiger was 30some and it was no prob. my favorite ugly stik for biguns is the 8' big water boat rod my biggest fish was the one in the pic (around 60#) on a 7' bwb my favorite rod, catfish safari.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    All I use are Ugly Stik catfish rods and Ugly Stik Tiger rods and they will land ANY CATFISH in the country...PERIOD. :wink:

6. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hello chris. I have an ugly stick tiger rod casting model rated up to 50#s. Its a decent rod, definitely works for any type of catfish as big as you want. But i also have a catfish safari flathead rod, it has the same line rateing and in my opinion is a much better rod. you can check them out at catfishsafari.com

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Very well put kscowboy, In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the tiger rod as long as you like having a pool cue with a Giant handle and a flimsy tip for a Catfish Rod. I'm not saying there Bad, Just saying I think there is something Better! http://www.catfishsafari.com/Catfishsafari_Rod.html

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I know a guy who has both and the Safari River Rods are like pool cues compared to the MH Tigers according to him.

I have no complaints with my 6 MH Tigers. I have caught catfish from tidal river systems up to 55 lbs and the rod was never in my mind fighting those fish. Match up well with the Penn 320GT2.

I would recommend the Tiger Lite in H action if you want a sportier fight. Great rod and teams well with an Abu 6500 class reel.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got a tiger lite in heavy action for christmas along with a abu 6500 can't wait to try it out. My wife ordered the wrong one and got me the spinning version which is way more limber than the casting one. Got it all straightened out now, just waiting for warmer weather.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You got a great combo there. I just spooled mine with 65lb power pro braid. I had 20lb mono on there and didn't trust its strength. I couldn't go with a bigger mono due to spool size, so I'm giving the braid a try.

Good luck with it.

11. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    The Tigers I have are the 7ft med 20 to 50lb test which has put a 110lb Sturgeon in the frzzr (30lb test used). My other is the med hvy 7ft 30 -60 lbs test, I use that for deep ocean fishing for lings,40lbs best. For cat fishing here in my area of Ca I use smaller ugly rods up 25lb test. Just p/u a tiger lite,little hvy on the tip but maybe good for hauling them out of the tree roots with.

12. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    thats the the stuff i am looking for 110# sturgeon ooohweee !!! now thats a testament . come on now folks lets here about some more brutes on you catfish poles , don't forget salt water included .

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    All I use are Tiger M/H. Took the fish in my avatar (not sure what he weighed, but he put the 70# from the year before (also on a Tiger) in the shade:wink:). Caught a bunch of 30s-40s and a couple in the 50's on them as well. Only complaint is they're a bit limber to fish in heavy current. I may go up to a heaver rod, but it's not because of any concerns about the rods, just that them being doubled over in heavy current bugs me:big_smile:

14. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey BK where on earth do you fish that a MH tiger is considerd limber ? I'm jealous LOL .

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Agree with everyone else. I have tigers and I have lots of confidence in them. I even have a few Jim Moyer rods and I prefer my tiger over them anyday.

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 of each. I use them for backups to my other combos, best backups to have imho!

The catfish are mated w/ abu 6500 c3's

The tigers are mated w/ abu 7000 hsn's.

Use 65 lb. power pro on all 4.

17. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are right Joshua, the catfish safari river rods are very stiff. that is because they were designed to fish rivers with very heavy current. But the Catfish safari lake rods and the flathead rods are med. hvy. action with a parabolic bend. With the para cord handles that come on the safari rods they will last you 10 times longer then the tiger rods.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to use the tigers, I dont now because I need long rods for my locations....If they made them in 12ft length I would be using them today.

They will handle any catfish that swims.

But one rod I like just as well if not better, was the ugly stik custom in 7ft length.

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jack, I know what you mean. I river fish from a boat and would love to get them in 7'6" or 8' in length. I don't understand why Ugly Stick only made them in 7' lengths! You would think as long as this rod has been on the market, they would have produced more length options.

FYI, I'm using the "new", 7'10" Quantum Big Cats in med. heavy. The guides are improved and now are sporting "Fuji" reel seats, like the Tiger's.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Im also a big fan of the Ugly Stick Tiger rods as well as the Ugly Stick Custom. I wish the Custom came with the same eyes as the Tiger but I havent had a problem with the inserts on the Custom rods popping out yet. The Custom cost a few bucks more than the Tiger but worth every cent of it. I just put eight new Ugly Stick Custom rods in my arsenal with a little lighter action for drifting but I havent had a chance to break them in properly yet........