Ugly Stick Tiger Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 6, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm thinking about buying one of these rods. I looked on the Shakespeare website to compare the different models. I believe I want the 7' MH Casting rod. This particular rod comes in two versions, model# BWC 2202 comes with heavy duty stainless steel guides, and model# BWC/AO 2202 comes with aluminum oxide guides. For you guys that use these rods, I would like to hear your opinions on which rod you would choose and for what reasons. Keep in mind that I use braided line if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have one and its the aluminum oxide guides for me but I pull mono you may want the stainless pulling braid. just my opinion

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Braid is basically like a saw. Steel can be cut through over time with it, but aluminum oxide is quite a bit tougher to do that to. If you are using braids, go with aluminum oxide.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

this guy is right now that I went back and read what I typed sorry for that I had the materials backwards

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have two of these Aluminum Oxide is what you want if your pulling Braid. Your gonn love these Rods Really Tough. Good luck and catch a Bigun. J.D.Straka:big_smile:

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I just got 4 of the Ugly Stik Tigers last week. 3 of them in the spinning version and the Ugly Stike Tiger lite in the casting version. In the spinning models I got two in ML action and one in MH. On the Lite, I got the heavy action.

Now with that said, let me ask this, "Do you want a trigger on your casting rod?" If so, you will probably want to order the Tiger Lite. It does have a trigger. Now, I am not sure if the regular Ugly Stick tiger casting has a trigger or not. But, it was not listed as having one. So, you may want to ask Flathunter about his and/or double check Shakspeare's site to find out for sure. That is why I ordered the Tiger Lite because I much prefer a trigger on my casting rods.

In closing, I will say that from first impressions and just using these rods one time, that I have really been impressed both with their appearance (quality of workmanship and materials). And, casting performance. But, I did not catch any fish on my first and only outing with them. Thus, I cannot give a report on their fish handling ability. But, I am certain that I am going to be pleased when I do land a few fish with them.

I hope that those who have used them for sometime can provide you with much more input, as to their fish handling ability and durability.

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I appreciate your quick responses. I believe I had read hear on the BOC sometime back that it was recommended to go with aluminum oxide guides if you're using braid, but couldn't remember. Thanks for the reassurance!

8. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ive got 2 of the Tiger Lite casting rods in Hvy. action,and i feel that for the money you wont find another rod on the market that can compete with the entire Ugly Stik line up,let alone the Tiger Lites. As for the type of guides vs braid,i cant really comment on that because ive never had braid cut through any of my guides.

9. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to order ceramic inserts for the stainless steel guides?

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm not sure that you can add inserts, but it wouldn't be too hard to replace the tip guide with one that already has an insert. That's the only one you will be likely to have wear problems with. I'm needing to do that soon on my oldest Tiger Rod, it's starting to form a slot. I'm expecting the hardest part to be figuring out what size to order.

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just went down to the bait shop and had em order me the ugly stick tiger lite spinning hvy 7' 14-40lb line It will be in at 8:00 in the morning I cant wait to get it on my new okuma epixor EB65 I wanna try the bait feeder option on the spinning reel I hope to get a big one on it it should be a great setup I hope the rod matches up to thr reel well
    Trevor

12. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I have a MH Tiger rod. It's a little stiff in my opinion. I plan on buying another one in medium. The Academy Sports store in Okla. City has them on sale for around $40 until Sunday. Your local store may have the same sale going. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with a Tiger.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The medium heavy tiger rod is one super stong rod, but it is a broom stick, very little flex in the tip.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Douglas, I am planning on going to Academy on Sat. for the rod sale. The BWC2201 is the MED. model and the BWC2202 is the M.H. model. I observed that the Med. line recommendations is 20-50 lbs, and the MH is 30-60 lb. The other ?'s that I have are, how much more flexible is the rod tip on the Med. compared to the MH? And, is the MH so stiff that you have a hard time detecting a light biting fish? Thanks for the info!

15. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Flathunter, I'll pose the same ?'s to you from the above post.

Also, I have 2-MH Quantum Big Cat rods(15-40lb.) , and 2- MH Ugly Stick Catfish rods(10-30lb.). How would you compare the Med. Tiger(20-50lb.) to the M.H. Big Cat as far as strength and flex? I'm a little confused as to why the M.H. B.C. rod has a smaller line rating than the Med. Tiger rod? Could you clear this up for me please? I sure appreciate the info, THANKS!

16. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    It might have to do with the fact the Tiger Rods where designed for saltwater applications,the Big Cat is designed for catfish.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’ve got several Tiger Rods, but I’ve never had my hands on the Quantum Big Cat, so I can’t offer a comparison. Between the M and MH Tiger rods, you just might miss a light bite on the MH. My take is that the only difference in the 2 rods is the last 24” or so, where the M is much more flexible. The backbone is about the same, and either rod could handle a monster. I prefer the MH in strong current or when casting big baits, but for most situations I prefer the M.

Line ratings and the rod action ratings such as M and MH are really different things. A crappie rod might have a medium action but only be rated for 4-8lb line for example, while a medium Tiger rod is an entirely different animal.

I would take line ratings with something of a grain of salt, as I don’t think there is a uniform way of measuring it. One manufacturer might say a rod is rated for 60lb line, and their competitor might rate the same rod for 40lb line.

18. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I finally got myself an Ugly Stick Tiger rod Sat. night. I had asked yall's opinions on Fri. if I should go with the M or MH action. After mixed replys I still wasn't set on which one to get. Well when I got to Academy sports for the big rod sale they were having, they only had the Med. action so they made my decision easy. I was wanting the model that has aluminum oxide guides, but all of them were the stainless steel guided models. I did go ahead and buy a Fugi aluminum oxide rod tip for the rod to use at some point if I decide to use braid. I had planned on using braided line, but funds were getting low, so I decided to go with some 30 lb. Berkley Big Cat solar green mono. I compared it with my MH Quantum Big Cats and it was much heavier feeling but seemed to have more flex toward the tip. So I'm glad that I got the Med. action, the only regret I have is not buying more than one of them!

19. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    TNVOLCAT, I didn't see your second post until this morning. My wife was in OKC Friday and stopped at the Academy and bought me a Medium. They had four on Monday, and she got the last one. It's not as stiff as the MedHvy but its pretty close. As to the questions about lines and weights, I don't know. I'll defer to Flathunter. He has answered almost all of the questions I have posted to the Brotherhood. I appreciate his (and all the Brothers) willingness to share experiences and knowledge. Doug

20. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    What is the difference between a tiger rod and a tiger lite rod? Also, I have a tiger spincasting reel,it came with 15lb line on it but I swapped to 20lb spiderwireEZ,what are your thoughts on which rod would be best for that reel.