Ugly stick tiger and circle hooks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BigMike42420, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    I've been thinking of puchasing an ugly stick tiger. I havn't had the chance to hold one or feel one yet, but I here some good things about them! I use 7,8,and 9/0 circle hooks and like to have some play in the tip. I feel this lets the fish hook itself better without as much resistance, but I also want the rod to have good backbone for controlling a nice fish! The rod I'm lo0king at is 7ft. casting, but what I'm asking is if I would be better off with the medium or medium/heavy?

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use med/heavy i also use 8/0 circles and the rod loads up pretty good.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think most people are better off with the softer tip on the medium. The exception to that is if you fish heavy current, the MH will bob around less and help your bait stay in place. IMO, the bottom half - the backbone - of the M and MH is identical. I've got both, and switch based upon fishing conditions.

4. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    Thanks, I didn't realize that the back bone was the same on the M and MH!!

5. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i use m/h with circles and they work great.

6. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    I been using the standard 7 foot ugly stick in MH action for several years now. I think the tip is a little softer than some of the heavier rods. But, when using circle hooks, I thing a softer tip is better. Plenty of backbone to handle larger fish. You can get two of the standard ugly sticks for the cost of one ugly stick tiger rod.

My PB is a 50 pound blue and that rod with an abu 6000 handled the fish just fine. And, yes, that rascal wuz released but I haven't been able to catch him or his bigger brother again, yet!

7. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I have one med/hvy and two mediums. I like the mediums better because they have a little flex in the tip.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have you checked out other rods other then the tigers. I know a lot of people use them tiger rods. I just think you might be better off checking out a catfish safari rod or some other brand.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There aint no way I would ever use a m action rod. I use big live baits some times and I cant stand a m action rods tip bouncing for my bait....especially at night, that freaks me out thinking I have a hit. A mh tip will load and set a circle hook perfect. Also if you are slinging heavy weight anything less than a mh rod is less productive in casting distance.

IMO a MH action rods is a great universal rod to use. If fishing big rivers/current I would think a H action would be necessary. Save the M action for smaller channel cats or bass fishing ; )

-Jim-

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have two 7' Ugly Stick Tiger rods like you're talking about. I use the 8/0 Gamakatsu wide gap circles and it seems to be a very good combination for both flatheads and blues. Im right here in Henderson if you want to come over and check one of the rods out.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just sent two 7' Medium Tigers back to Cabelas (nothing wrong with them, sent me casting, ordered spinning). The medium seemed about right, I think a med/heavy would have been too much. The medium had a nice tip action, and the more you got into it the more it stiffened up, and it got there fast. They were nice looking and well built (loved the guides) for a $60.00 rod. I hope my 7' medium Tiger Spinning rods that are coming are as nice as the casting rods I sent back. Hope this helps ya out some.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I prefer MH or H action rods myself. The Ugly Tiger rods are Awesome rods, cant go wrong with them. I have two myself.

13. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    The Tiger rods are great rods.... I would stick with the MH if I was using big baits and fishing in current...

14. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Wally World carries the Tiger here in this area. Good price and no waiting or shipping charges. And you can look'em over before buying.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    um just wondering if you had a mh tiger? because their saltwater mh rating is far stiffer than a fresh water mh ba$$ rod rating. i could snap a mh bass rod with my mh tiger tuna rod with a hookset if our lines got tangeled. I dont know what you call stiff because if you had a mh tiger and think you could use a heavy:eek:oooh: id wanna fish in your honey holes because ive tryed to break my 40# line using mh tiger & reel and i tell you what if i get something that pulls mutch harder someone better grab me cause i might end up in the water. i think their one of the toughest rods out there but i wouldnt want one stiffer and like garyf said the m tiger will probally work out better in most situations including using circles.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I never said anywhere in my post about using a fresh water bass rod ( the black ones ). I did make a wise crack about saving the mediums for channels and bass but that's it. A man asked a question and I answered, in fact my answer was the same as some others yet you decided to quote my post.

If people want options and ask for them it sure would be nice to see people say their peace and leave it at that. Asking questions is one thing but picking someone's else's post apart because they don't agree with you is unproductive and unnecessary.

I myself don't have to be right, in fact for sake of argument YOU are right. I think I'm gonna start leaving my opinions at the door.

-Jim-

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    MH rods are not created equal, and the MH Tiger is the stiffest I have seen with that designation. Most manufacturers would have labeled it a Heavy. I think what Brandon was saying is that unless you have specifically had experience with the Tiger rods, what you are saying about MH may be a general comment that doesn't necessarily apply to the Tiger's.

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hopefully I'll have a little to share when my taxes get back, because I'll be purchasing a MH for my Abu 6000. With current, size of fish, and current I'm going with the MH because I need something that can get a fish up, and particularly away from structure as the rivers, creeks, and lakes around here are full of trees.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have both the medium and medium heavy tiger rod..The medium is your best bet by far, it has a softer tip that is the only difference...You can still cast at least a 6-oz sinker and a big bait with the medium, and I can cast it farther than the medium heavy.

20. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    I want to thank everyone for their opinion and comments!! Ya'll have provided me a lot of usefull information. I hope this post hasn't created to much static, because I never intended for it too!!