Ugly stick tiger action

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some people have said you only need a medium action 7 ft 20-50 ugly stick tiger i dont own one but my question is will the medium be strong enough for bigger fish 50+ or should i go with a mh both paired with abu i have heard these rods are strong

2. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    that should be enough rod to land anything in the river!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Luke it will depend on how much tip action you want. I personally like Med/Hvy on most of my rods. You probably will catch more 15#-:lol: :smile2: 30# fish than 50# so the medium may be the best of both rods. I hope this helps and good luck on your choice.

4. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    I have a med. action tiger, one river i fish alot usually has strong current and i seem to get alot pull or bend in the tip, would i be better off with m/h rod, thanks

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got both the M and MH. They both have about the same backbone, with the difference being in the tip action. Either one would land a 100lb+ catfish IMO. For the most part I prefer the Medium, but the MH is an advantange in heavy current situations, where the bouncing tip on the M would encourage the bait and sinker to work their way downstream. The MH does a better job of helping the bait stay put.

6. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i catch a lot of channels too so i might go with medium action i think it will pull in the lifetime fish too

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I've fished since 2004 with an Ambassadeur 7000c3 and a MH Tiger for channel using 20-30 lb. big game and it seems to have good sensitivity and I can usually tell the slightest bite, so the outfit would certainly work for both. This year I bought a Medium Tiger along with a White Catfish Ugly Stick for channel to higher fishing.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Now interestingly enough i (out of boredom) did something crazy when i first bought my MH tiger i used it it for bait fishing (worms)and beilieve it or not you can even feel panfish nibbling through this tip it is sensitive enough. if that is your concern.

9. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    my response did not apply to question asked the tiger rod is meant to be a saltwater rod they have been used for tuna in the ocean and sturgeon on the columbia river so a catfish doesnt stand a chance against this rod . with that said tip action is totally a preference

10. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    The tiger rods are great! I have the mh rated for 30-60lb line. With this rod you can sling huge baits for flatties with lots of lead and hardly bow the rod. These rods are overkill for smaller cats for sure, but if you want a rod that can handle anything the tiger gets the nod!

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What Adam said...Lure Weight. If u need 4-6 oz. of lead and use big baits its more what u need to cast with a rod.

I bank fish the Ohio River with 5-6 oz. (or more) of lead and whole 10" FRESH Cut Shad and prefer a rod with a lure wieght rating of 3-8 oz.

Opinion: For me anything under a 3 oz. lure wieght is like "Pushing a Chain"... it don't work to well.

:confused2:

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I HAVE THE MED. ACTION UGLY TIGER AND I LIKE IT. I FISH MOSTLY LAKES AND SMALL RIVERS WITH NOT MUCH CURRENT, SO THE MED. ACTION WORKS GOOD FOR ME. I ALSO LIKE THE FLEXIBLE TIP ON THE MED. ACTION FOR FISHING WITH CIRCLES.