Ugly Stick Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Catmansc2006, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am considering buying a Ugly Stick Big Water rods for catfishing. I wondering what would be best action for this. Heavy or Medium Heavy. I am leaning toward Heavy and 7- 8 foot length. Also I am going to using Tidewater reels on them. I would like members opinon on this setup and if anyone has a better suggestion, I would appreciate the info.

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i have one of the white ugly stick catfish rods with a tidewater 30l on it and love it. it never fails and can handle really good sized fish.

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    match the rod action to the size of fish that are in your area and match it to the conditions you fish in such as heavy cover with 50 plus pound flatheads i would go for the heavy action rod and if the fish and or cover are a little smaller and not as harsh then i would go medium heavy. base the equipment on the place you fish and the size of fish in that area. hope this helps:cool2:

4. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish with the ugly stick tiger in a medium/heavy, They have been really good to me.

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try the ugly stick Tiger. Much better quality.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The BWS are a good rod. I would, like mentioned before, try to get the rod that matches where and size I fish. Big fish heavy cover the heavy big/average fish minimal cover the medium are MH would be great. When in doubt though I would rather have more rod than I need than not enough. That goes for the reel as well

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Tiger isn't better quality than the Big Water rods, but is different. I've a Big Water 1120 7 ft casting rod. Its used for everything from small 3 lb fish to tarpon and big sharks. In fact, its one that is highly recommended by saltwater fishermen going after king fish, wahoo, ling (cobia) and many other species that weigh in in the up to 100 lb range. The Big Water rods are better built than the regular freshwater Ugly Sticks with double footed guides and better wrapping. You can't go wrong with one of the Big Waters. The Tiger is probably a bit better if lifting heavy fish out of serious structure, but in more open water, the Big Water is more than adequate for the job. Plus, its a good casting rod.

Besides the size fish you fish for, you need to consider where you fish and how you fish. If you do a lot of casting, the Big Waters are fine rods. If the water is fairly open, then its a great rod. The Big Waters don't weigh as much as the Tigers, so aren't as tiring to cast. Either, though, is a good rod and will do you good service.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Also depends on if you're fishing from the bank or a boat. H for the boat & MH if you need to get out there from the bank.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I like the 7' MH Ugly Stik Tiger rods. They are my favorites

10. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like the 7' MH Ugly Stik Catfish rods on bank and in boats. All my rods are Ugly Stiks.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For those of you looking for a new rod and who live near an Academy store, they're having one of those "rod riot" sales. Got $15 off an Ugly Stick Big Water 1120 7 ft M/H. Think the Tiger would be at least $10 off. The sale may end tomorrow, so go to it.