Ugly Stick Question?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ste6168, May 14, 2008.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have two 7' Ugly Sticks, MH action, that I plan to put saltwater reels on. Will these be enough to reel in the big cats? Even if I hook into a 30-40 lbs'er?

2. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    perfest rods for 30 40 or more,go ahead hook up with a 50 and hold on lol

3. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Then off to get some big saltwater baitrunner reels and look out flatties...

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    are you talking about the white catfish rods or the orange tiger rods. on my mh ugly stick catfish rods i have ambassador 6000's i converted to ball bearing. i have 4 ugly stik tiger rods. a light saltwater reel is a nice fit on the tigers. if you are talking about the white catfish rods i don't think you will like a big reel with heavy line.the sweet spot on my white rods seems to be 2oz's of lead and bait.give us more info on the rods please.

5. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They are the original EVA foam grip handle Ugly Sticks. Not the tiger, lite big water, etc. Also, I am talking about spinning rods, not baitcasters. What are the differences between all the seperate ugly sticks, is there a chart floating around somewhere, or a comparison list?

Thanks for the help so far!

I am pretty sure it is the same as this, although the cabelas website does not seem to have the 7' MH version...? Link

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info. all the ugl stik's i have use level wind reels.your rods should have a sticker that rates them for line size and weight range. somewhere in the top 1/3 rd of the range you will probably find the line size and weight size that feels comfortable and doesn't over load the rod. i do fish a lot with big spinning gear and you would be suprised how small my line diameter is. i use 12' spinning surf rods alot below dams and locks on the arkansas river. what i do is load my reels (big diawa emcast's ) with 15# big game. when the reel is almost full i attach what is known as a shock leader to my line. most of the time my leader is 50 # big game. i usually put on about 35 or 40 ft' of shock leader. what this does for me is gives me 50# test line to attatch the hook and weight to(usually i throw 5oz sinkers) . the casting advantage for this set up is that there is 50# line wrapped around my spool when i am casting. this line takes the load generated during casting so the weight won't snapp off and kill some innocent by stander. the other advantage is that i have a 40 ft leader of 50# test line out on the buisiness end where you are most likely to break off from abrasion. the knot i use to attach the 15# to the 50 # is called an albright knot. this not is easy to wind thru the guides and also easy to cast out thru the guides. granted im not gonna land jaws on this rig but i'm not affraid of anything 50# and under. just keep him up off the bottom and let the rod and thr drag do it's thing. i am not a long distance surf caster or anything but i can throw 5 and bait350 to 375 feet consistantly. the pros throw the same rig 650 + ft' in compatetion. i know this is a long answer but the bottom line is that heavy mono will severly limit your casting distance. i hope this helps.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    short answer is go for it and load your reels with power pro line. by the way welcome to the BOC.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the rods you got may not brake with a 30-40 but your gonna be waiting on him to come to you because your rods not gonna have any say so over were he goes. and their is a big difference in their rods. heres shakespeares site. my computers not wanting to load the page or id link to the rods. http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/

9. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The white MH 7" Ugly Stiks are great rods man. I bought one early last spring, and I put an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 on it. The rod is fun to use because it makes catching the 8lbers fun as well as the 40lbers. Now my PB using that setup is only a 15lb. blue, so I can't say that im 100% sure that it would bring in a 40lb. fish. But alot of guys on here have caught 40+lb. fish using those rods. I caught a 12lb. flathead that fought like there was no tomorrow on that setup, along with that 15lb blue and the rod brought those in just fine. You wont have the backbone you would on many other rods, making it hard to control a big o cat, but still, it's an awesome rod. I mean it's an Ugly Stik ya know.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a 8' two piece ugly stick "catfish" series, white. I put a ABU 6000 on it. I was curious why there isn't more handle on it, and wondered if this was a factor in cast distance? My berkley big game, a cheaper rod, has more grip and I can sling my same two oz. on the 6000 on it farther.
    The rod's are the same length, but the grip on the berkley is much longer, placing my grip from reel to end of grip at a longer distance. I know the ugly stick is the better rod. But get better distance with the cheap one. My question is, is it the longer distance between my hands what's doing it, or something else in my technique. When I use the ugly stick, I feel like my hands are too close together.
    Need a coach.....
    :big_smile:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Boots, you don't need a coach, you need a different rod. 8' Uglies aren't built for distance, and if distance is what you're after, there are many, much better, choices in the 10'-13' range.