Ugly Stick lite salmon/steelhead rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by xnmcclurex, Sep 29, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    How well do you think the ugly stick lite salmon/steelhead rods would work for flatheads? I wanna put either a abu procat or a abu blue yonder on it.

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    What steelhead rods I been around, I would say more of a channel cat rod,.
    Not saying they would not handel one. but for flats, 25 & up I t would not be my choice,
    My someone who fishes with one can give a input.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    why buy a steelhead rod for catfishing? I always thought you get a catfishing rod for catfishing? Never done much steelhead fishing but I'd say probably not but with your drag set right anything is possible. I do wanna try a muskie rod for catfishing though:tounge_out: kinda contradicts my theory huh:tounge_out:

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Well I wanted some new ugly sticks and the normal ones are too small and I'm afraid to order the bigwaters because I think it will be too heavy, I need two piece rods so I can transport them easier. Most of the fishing I would be doing is gonna be for fish around that size ( if I get lucky ).

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Those salmon and steelhead rods are on the light side. Those rods would not be able to handle launching a 12 inch sucker 20 yards across the river.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You'd be lucky to even get a big fat flatty off the bottom with that kind of rod too.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you are going to get a ugly stick for flat heads get the ugly stick tiger lite in the heavy action. I will be putting 2 of them on here in about 2 weeks. I bought 6 and only need 4. Let me know if you are interested and i will save them for you. No down payment or anything like that.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They are good rods for flats. I use mine for musky fishing and trolling too.

9. festus

festus New Member

I used to have a steelhead rod by South Bend and it was great for bass fishing from shore in rivers and maybe for chucking any bait up to 1 oz or maybe 1-1/4 oz at the most. It would cast a country mile, but I wouldn't really want to use it for anything much bigger.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I just built a Salmon/Steelhead Blank.

8'6" 2pc, 15-30lb, 1-5oz-Lure weight, XFast-Action, Hvy-Power.

I must say this rod would be a killer spinning rod and would drag in a flathead in need be, But I built it as casting, just for channel cats.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103103

Steelhead and salmon blanks have a bit whippier blank(like surf rods) even though they are tough, they are made for the cast and the fight, not just brute strenght. They are strong blanks, don't get me wrong, just not my cup of tea for a good flathead or bluecat stick.:wink: