Ugly Stick fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BlueZeus, Mar 2, 2006.

1. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 6500C3 lined with 20lb power pro braided super line. I currently have a 6'6" heavy action ugly stick rod. The handle is foam and the rod is in great shape. The question I have is would this rod make a decent catfish system. Channel Cats in my area generally range from 5-12lbs. However a 55lb flat head was caught in the Huron River just south of where the river enters Lake Erie. I'm trying to avoid spening additional money on a new rod if what I have would be just as acceptable. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks to all that respond.
    Bill:)

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I think that rod will be ok. I have all uglies in medium heavy and in heavy-heavy action. They have not failed me yet. The only difference I can see is mine are 7 foot long.

3. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    First off I am a big fan of ugly sticks. I own at least 6 various ugly stik rods. Although I have had a large cat break a Medium Ugly stick bass rod once; snapped it right in two as soon as he hit. I have landed a 50lber on a similar Ugly stick with no problem. I have sinced changed to their Ugly Stik Cat rods which have been awesome. You can really feel the bottom like you can with a bass type rod when drifting, I think those huge rods some guys use, you sometimes loose the feeling of the bottom. Long story short, If it's all you got, then use it, if you can afford a better rod like an Ugly stik Cat rod then I would buy one (just for piece of mind if nothing else) and just swap reels around. BTW that is a great reel.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That rod will work fine , UGLY STIK with your budget.

5. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You will be hard pressed to get that combo torn up. Ugly Sticks are almost unbreakable.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    That would make a great combo for catfish. It will land most any fish you hook. Even that 55 lb flathead if you were to try for it.

Dont get caught up thinking you have to have specialized equipment to catch cats. Just use what you have and have fun. When you need new equipment then look for something else. Another rig like you have would be great when the time comes.

7. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I totally agree with the previous posts that you have a good setup for cats. As you have said the ones caught normally in your area will be easy on that setup. You even should be able to handle the 55 if he is played correctly and the is no immediate cover you HAVE to keep him out of. I have preferred 30 lb big game on my ugly sticks of course I also have a big dream of a state record (yea, wishful thinking :) ).

Good luck and happy cattin!

8. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see that most anglers seem to prefer the 7'00" M/H action ugly stick, is the 6"difference and the action type more useful. Please advise. I have priced the ugly stick at roughy $30.00. I understand the longer the rod the farther cast. I am willing to spend the $30+ dollars despite having a $70 plus rod not actually designed for my type of fishing should I opt for the M/H opposed to the Heavy action? Thanks again to all.
    Bill

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Save your money and keep using what you got, or better yet by another and use both.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Save your money like TNcatfish said. Then go fish and enjoy yourself. It isnt about the gear you use. It is about the fun you have. Too many people get caught up in what is the right gear or do I have enough. I am guilty myself. It is more important to spend quality time on the bank or in a boat on the water.
    By the way wlecome to the BOC. Dont be afraid to ask questions. We all love to give our opinions. HeHeHe

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think your gear is fine, personaly I would not use powere pro but thats just me..I used to catch alot of big fish on gear not as good as what you have.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Like the others said, you have a good set up. I have 3 ugly sticks and they are one of my favorites. Handles them cats perfectly.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree with Bearcat. Remember, wasnt that long ago guys were catching huge cats with a stick for a pole they cut out of the nearest shade tree...

14. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I agree with all the previous posts. I have been using Ugly Stiks for years and the only time I have ever broken any of them is when I closed them in the tailgate of my truck like a dummy. I have 12 different uglies and I swear they are the best. I have landed King Salmon in Alaska on them and Crappie in Tennessee. I even have an Ugly Stik flyrod. You can not beat them for the money and the Abu Reel is awesome too.

15. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will keep using my current set up. The information has been well taken. Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice to all.:)

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Blue,
    I think you made a good choice. I fish with heaver and lighter gear at the same time out of the same boat. The best rod is a paid for rod! I love the power pro line myself. i keep it on all my bass rods and my 6000. You feel the bite alot better with it. You also do not have to bullwhip the hook set because it does not stretch. A good pop of the rod tip usually does it if you keep your line fairly tite.

Above all, like the others said, go have fun with whatever you have. I saw my bro in law pull in a 7 lb op on a ultralight with 4 lb test and a crappie hook. He just let the fish pull the boat! Fun to see!

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, that will work.

You may be better served though moving up to a 7'0" Ugly Stik. The springier tip will get you a little more casting distance and give you a little more play on big fish allowing for some smaller line if desired.

You can get the white Ugly Stiks at Wal-Mart for around $28.

18. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That combo should work just fine. A longer rod will give you a little more casting distance. I use 7ft to 8ft rods. The only thing you might want to do is use a higher weight line if you plan on larger fish such as flatheads. I would use nothing less than 25 lb test. You want get quite as much line on, but you can set the drag tighter to keep mr. flathead out of the snag because that is exactly where he will be headed when he runs.

19. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use shakspeare 7 1/2 ft striper specials with 6500c3 , we mostly drift fish and the tip action is great,with the backbone to back it up on big fish . the 6500c3 is the reel of choice for a lot of santee guides.

20. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Sounds like a good set up. I'd keep using it till a big fish broke it then I'd come back and cuss us all out for not givin' good advice!! LOL!! At least you'd have a good story to tell!!