Ugly stick clear tip

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by illnoize, Jun 11, 2006.

1. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    Whats the clear tip for on the ugly sticks? Also is the 7ft catfish rods too short for long casting?

2. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think it is a flip tip. It is where most of the senseitivity comes from, and when you cast the tip has a snap to it and cast the bait further.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know that there is really any reason for that clear tip. Maybe it's just something to set them apart from other brands?

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    The clear tip is showing you that the tip is pure graphite and therefore extremely sensitive, as for casting distance as long as you have a good reel this thing will throw baits with the best of em

5. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Actually it all has to do with the blank. The tip is actually fiberglass (graphite is black in color) while the lower end of the rod is a combination of fiberglass overlaid on carbon.

The 7 footers are just fine unless your trying to do some serious long distance casting, then i'd switch over to an 8 or 9 footer.

I'm getting to the point where I can hang with some of the spinning reels out there now.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have sevn or eight 7 footers, but a couple of friends of mine, Tony Spergin, and Jason, have some 12 footers that they put me to shame. I am going to Cabela's wheeling Wed (my Bday) and gonna get me some of them!

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have an 8 foot catfish ugly stik spinning rod and it is a blast! I can cast that further than my other 8 footer with braid. Too bad I already have 14 outfits (I am 14 years old) and my dad won't let me get anymore lol. I do have a 10' MH surf outfit that I can cast really far with. It's not an Ugly Stik but I got it for $80 which was really good.

8. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have 2 of the 7 footers and don't have any problem with casting distance.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a 7, 9, 10 and two 12 foot poles along with the standard issue casting poles but if your tring to throw 5+ oz with bait you may consider a shock leader if you are using less than 20 lb line. as for distance your reel plays a part in it too. I can throw my 7 footer with a baitcaster about 60-70 yards the 12 footers over a hundred yards but the are spinning reels.

10. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I have a couple 7' casting rods with Abu Ambassador 6500's and they cast great with up to about 3 oz slip sinker rigs!!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a bunch of rods and the 7ft ugly stik with an abu 600 will out cast all of them.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    7' Ugly Stik Catfish Rod with a Shakespheare Tidewater will also sling a bait pretty far.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

shakespeare said its for sensitivity on the tip.

14. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's all about marketing! Fiberglass is clear and some smart fella said "hey! if leave the tip clear every body can spot them on a rack of rods in the store" Plus the cats can't see them when you stick 'em over the water.:lol: