Ugly stick catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bluecatnut, May 3, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    do y'all think it is over kill to put a 209 penn on a white ugly stick catfish thanks for ur help

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Not at all, the penn 209 is pretty little isnt it

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I think it would be a great combination.

4. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have a 209,a 500,and a 155 on these rods and they seem to work just fine.Most of my fishing with these rods is in a boat,though they do cast as far as I need them to. But I don't usually fish more than about 50 yards from the bank.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have several of these rods too. Mine are all spinning rods though. I caught a 47 lb Bluecat and a 40 lb Flathead on them and they work great!!

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i got a 209 on my ugly stik catfish rod. awesome combo

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Have A 309 Penn On Mine. I'm Still Waiting For The One That Will Give Me A Run For My Money On It :cool2: , Elliot

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any of you think this rod is too much for catching channel cats?

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sounds like a good combo to me. I've got a spinning reel on my ugly stick rod.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois

I think they would be overkill for channels under 5 lbs. IMHO:cool2: Great rods though!

11. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I have three of the white ugly stik catfish rods all 7'. Have ABU 6000s on two and a 6500 on one i have caught some nice fish on all and there great for both eaters or Flatheads.I like they have 8 eye guides counting the tip and i can cast them a good distance.

12. Boots28

Boots28 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    those are the only rods I will use . I have a pro angler reel on it. ( same as black max 6500). I landed a 34# Blue Cat from the bank with mine. I wouldn't think I would use anything else.

13. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sounds great i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    that combo will work, and no I dont think its overkill cause you never know just what youll hook up with and you don"t want to be cought short with a whimpy rod belive me I have but not these days. Bigcatman0816.

15. TxRiverRat

TxRiverRat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guys, great thread, And im new to this site, but been fishin cat's all my life.
    Always been kinda short handed on good rod's, could someone explain this " white catfish rod" Where could i buy one? right now I have a zebco 888 prostaff, and a 7 ft fuji rod, I land 8-12 lb flats, and big fighting channels, but had fish break my 20 lb mono line like nothing, and really double me over, I would like some info on the catfish rod, and should i step up my reel?

Thanx for any help.
    Brian

16. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Is the Ugly Stick Cat rod to small for the 7000c3's or would it be best just to use the TIGERS----figured with the price of the ugly cats that it might be cheaper to buy them for my 7000's

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Brian welcome aboard the BOC. The "white catfish rod" is an Ugly Stick catfish pole made by Shakespeare. It's white in color so it's real easy to see at nite. I like the 7' med. heavy action model. It's got a really nice long butt end on it with eight line guides. The pole is priced at about $28- $30.00 at wally world. Very tuff pole for the money.
    How's that drag workin' on the 888 reel? This might be the problem with breakin' off. You asked if ya should step up on your reel, I'd say if ya can afford it go for it. I use the 6500c3's and really like them. Wally world has those too or check out e-bay or even Catfish Connection (BOC Sponsor).

quote by HARVRAD2003
    Is the Ugly Stick Cat rod to small for the 7000c3's or would it be best just to use the TIGERS----figured with the price of the ugly cats that it might be cheaper to buy them for my 7000's

Ya may find the Tiger pole beeter suited for the 7000.

18. TxRiverRat

TxRiverRat New Member

State:
    Texas
    my cousin just told me he got his white catfish rod for 25$, cant beat that, Im on it soon as possible.
    the drag works good on the 888, It was probaly the cover i was in, some roots and what not, once a big yellow gets hooked, and dart's for the roots or trees, it's tough, i have no control once he's wrapped up, call it a lack of experience? Well you get some, and lose some, We actually went in the river twice swimmin at night, un snagging em, man I was worried about snakes, but thats part of the fun i guess:eek:oooh:
    hey thanx alot for the help.

19. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ive got one the white ugly sticks with a shimano calcutta 250 on it .its been working great for me. hey txriverrat where do you fish at?

20. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have 3 white uglycats on 6500c3's with 50# SWstealth and these rods will skip fish across the top of the water if they are less than 5#s.great rods i love em