ugly stick catfish series rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FATDAD, Aug 7, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    any body use them? i bought 5 casting rods 7fters mh 15-30 lb line, i mainly use nite sticks and e cats , but was wondering if the ugly sticks would hold up to a decent size flathead but mainly channel cats they will be paried with 6500s, thanks

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do you mean the m/h white Ugly cat rods ? If yes, they are good rods. I've pulled in cats up to 40# and had plenty to go. I actually Ive never heard of someone breaking one one while catching a fish.

Yep...I use em
    -Jim-

3. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    yes they are white and say catfish on them,:smile2: thanks

4. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've used one for a couple years now. It's a classic Ugly Stik with just a little more backbone. Good, solid rod...I have no complaints.

5. Barny

Barny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have one and like it a lot. Most of my big channels were caught on my med. Ugly Stik, but i have caught decent 4#'s and it holds up great.

6. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just picked up an 8' MH white Ugly Stick to go with my new AG 7000. It looks like a solid rod. The only thing that struck me as odd is the assembly puts the female end on the small section of the pole. This may not make any difference at all, but no 2-piece rod I've ever owned was designed that way. Is there any particular reason or benefit to it?

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's what i use on all my reels, not bad for 40$ at Academy

8. WayneV

WayneV Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Its a reliable cheap rod, cant beat it for $30 and has a nice sensitive tip for u that like that.

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    It was my first catfishing rod, and It has been reliable, caught a 40 lb flat on it and some other big fish. It will bend to the point you are worried about it breaking but it never has. For the price it is a great rod. If you are looking to target bigger fish too, however, my favorite rod now is the bigger shakespear model, the Tiger Rod. :big_smile:

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a couple of the ugly stick catfish white rods. 7' m/h one piece.

My personal best bluecat (47.9) lbs was caught on one with a large spinning reel and 20# mono. To be honest with you....I was more worried about the 20# mono breaking than I was the rod. When I would pull back on the rod....I could hear the line stretching tight and sounding like it was going to break, but it held up and the rod performed well too. I like these rods for catfishing.:cool2:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 5 of them, they are good rods...I dont use them anymore because the places I fish require casting a sinker of 8-12 ounces 80 yds or more.

These rods wont do that, and are not made for that.

But they will handle a big fish.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My only beef with them are that the spinning rods are thicker than the bait caster rods are....I dunno why this is.

13. mjpotts

mjpotts New Member

State:
    Sulphur Springs Tx
    I've got two of them. With abu 7000's on them. work great just need bigger fish.

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Those are all I use anymore, with 6501C3 reels. Went with a guide once that had all of his setups basically the exact same thing, except 6500 reels, and he's caught lots of big fish with them.

15. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    caught my pb 45# flatty on one. 7ft m/h casting model with 20# line.
    good rod probably would have lost that fish if it wasn't for that rod, i
    didn't have a very good reel on and it stripped the gears out.

16. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I've got two as well, a 7 and 8 ft catfish ugly stik. I love both of 'em but I've never had a chance to put 'em to the test yet. They're guaranteed not to break from a fighting a fish for 7 years or your money back. Hard to beat that deal IMO. You have to keep your original receipt. Hopefully the ink will hold up that long:smile2:

17. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All i have to say is great rods

18. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    definitely good rods, i have an 8 footer, no regrets here

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    so i guess that these pole are the "ugly cat" poles, i seen them online and wanted to check them out in person, don't like gettin stuff online without checkin it out first

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught my personal best bluecat of 47.9lbs on one. They will catch more than just channels.:wink: