Ugly stick catfish rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Jan 23, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am looking getting one these rods for the Abu 6500 I am getting I wonder they anygood?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have used $250 rods down to the $20 rods on the bargain shelves. For the last 4 years or so, I will only bring my Ugly Stik Tiger Rods on board my boat. I have six (7ft, one piece) of them with ABU 7000's mounted to them all. I saved my 3 custom rods for bankfishing, which I rarely do anymore and got rid of all my other rods. You will find, with a little searching on this board, that Tiger Rods have a very high number of followers. They are not really for small, 2-5 lb catfish, but were made for big fish. However, they will work in any application. Whether Tiger Rods or any Ugly Stik rod, you will never be unsatisfied with the quality and usability in catfishing.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    the tiger rod(yellow,salt water) best cat rod around and only$55.00in cabales or bps

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Cj, I have 6 Ugly Stick rods one of which I have had for more than 20 years. they range in size from a short 4'6" trout pole to a 7'6" Tiger rod which I use with my Okuma Bait Runner that I use mostly for ocean fishing with 25lb line and it holds up well even under the strain of 30lb yellow tail.
    My oldest Ugly Stick and my favorite is a 5'6" spinning rod mounted with a Shimano reel that I keep loaded with 6lb line.
    I have used this combo fishing for panfish in all the lakes that I go to here in Ca. and it holds up great considering the rough treatment that I give my rods. I have had to replace the largest guide on that rod one time.
    Take it from me that Shakespeare makes a fine rod. That's from someone that owns more than 30 different rod and real combos.
    If Ugly Sticks were available for all the different applications that I need, they would be all I buy.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the usfull post, ugly stick here I come.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Ugly Cat rods are decent rods, and a lot less expensive. They won't throw as much weight as a Tiger, but are tough and especially good for channels.

7. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    cj21 after you have one of them bad boys in your hand you wont want to go back,as a matter of fact i was about to order 2 more myself,do you guys think a penn 965 or a 9m is to small to put on one?

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have few 7" ugly stick catfish, I would say best to get Tiger rod for big catfish. but I bought the ugly stick catfish because they are cheaper like near 30 dollar. I don't have problem with this rods as far.. I have to save money for new st.coix heavy action rod but it's expensive.....

9. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i was also looking into the ugly stick catfish rod, but whats the difference between the catfish rod, and the ugly stick striper rod??

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, but I think both rods are the same.

11. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I have 9 of the ugly stick catfish rods with 6000's and 6500's on them and they do fine. That's all I use.

12. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have two ugly stick poles, and love 'em.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I wonder they anygood..."

CHARLES!!! Surely you jest!!!

They are the best rods made for the money. From the Ugly Stik catfish rods for $29 at Wal-Mart to the Tiger rods for $59, you will not get more for your money.

The $29 MH catfish rods are great. I have reeled in 20's, 30's, and a 55 pounder on them. They have the backbone to do the job.

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    As you can tell, ugly stiks are great rods. Match the rod to your fishing and your good to go. I have 2 7' one piece regular casting rods with 6500's and they seem made for each other. I also have a big water 6'6" one piece casting rod for a boat rod. Im looking to get a 10' 2 piece big water casting rod that will sling 8 oz of weight. Should be good for bank fishing IM hoping.

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Charles,
    From my Ugly Stick rods for catching panfish (Bluegills, Crappie). :big_smile:

My rods that I do all of my Ba$$in' with. :big_smile:

To all of my rods that I use for my Stripers & Cats. :big_smile:

Ugly Stick Fishing Are:
    The Best Fishing Rods out there for the Money, Period!!!
    :ah:

I'll bet that all of the B.O.C. Members out there (If there don't own a custom rod made by Gator) has an Ugly Stick Rod.

If not, them will! :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ugly Stik catfish are the best rods made in my opinion. I also have an Ugly Stik Tiger, I like it, but it's more of a large river rod in my opinion, and it cost more.

17. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cj

I got two after hearing how great they are on this forum. wow the quality of the rod looks great and feels good in yor hands. I got the MH tiger and big water..now if only the 32inches of ice would melt so i can use them...
    I always thought the more the rod cost the better it is. but the is for sure value for the money...I still like my St croixs but value is in the ugly...

Vince

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You will not be dissappointed with the ugly sticks. The Tigers are great for big fish, but keep in mind I've caught a 70, 80, and even a 90 pound blue on my regular med action ugly sticks. They are fantastic rods and you cant tear them up. I have a half dozen or so purchased at Walmart for 30 bucks. They will not work too good with 12-24 ounce weights if you fish alot of dams. If you do fish dams, the Tiger Rods would probably be a better bet.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  20. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    i deffinatley would not buy anything differant except maybe Nite Sticks... 10 fters MH are the best they get