Ugly Stick Catfish Rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Apr 1, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering could u guys tell me different between the MH Ugly Stick Catfish and Striper Rods? I am planning on getting a 7' or 8' MH Ugly Stick Catfish Rod as a dual catfish/striper set up, for the Abu 6500C3 I am going to get.

2. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I would think you would be allright if you bought either of the rods. Both of the rods are designed for big fish. I would pick the one that felt the most comfortable to me.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    All of my cat rods are medium heavy catfish rods from Shakespeare. I have no problem with them. I can not tell you the difference between the striper rod and the catfish rod. I am sure both will land a cat if he/she is hooked well.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I really like the field of the ugly sticks, I will check out my local Wal-Mart for some they had some the last time I looked.

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The 8' Ugly stick catfish rod is my favorite. The tip action is just right for the way I fish. I normally use the 2 piece version and have never had any problem. For striper fishing I would probably look for the one piece version.

6. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't tell you, definitely, what the difference is. My dad and I both own one of the medium light stripper models. Damn things are too whippy in my opinion. I'll probably sell mine. Anyway, just looking at the specifications from shakespeares website. The stripper models look like they're not made to throw the heavier weights that catfisherman use. Out of all the stripper rods, the heaviest they want you to throw is 1oz. All the catfish rods go up the 3oz. This leads me to guess that the stripper rods are all on the whippy side, but that's just my opinion. I got nothing to back that up. In my mind a medium heavy rod is a medium heavy rod, despite the fact they say it’s a rod made especially for strippers. I don’t see why it would be any different from a medium heavy catfish rod. I think your best bet is to go with another rod that you know more about or the one that you will use the most for either fish. You can always check around with retailers and see if they have it. Hope this helps.

7. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I think the only difference is what name they put on it... ie. Catfish rod or Striper rod.:roll_eyes:

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have the 6 1/2 and 7 ft ugly stick and a couple of the striper rods also but they are light action rods that i use when free lining bait with no wieght. the fish feels hardly any resistance when they bite the light action rod. as far as the 7 ft cat or striper mh rods i prefer the one piece but the only diff. i see is maybe the butt is a little longer on the cat rod for added leverage when fighting fish or casting. both are great rods though. havent had a prob. with either.

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    The striper rod has a smaller diameter through out and is more flexible than the catfish model , the catfish model 8' is perfect for a 6500 c3 with 20 to 30 test, OMO.

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    for what it's worth I have never been disappointed with any ugly stick model i've ever owned.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The striper rods are medium/light (ML) action and the catfish rods are medium/heavy (MH). I use the MH rods and like the action of the rods better. There is enough backbone and I have landed 35-55 pound blues with them.

12. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I would get an Ugly Stik cuz if they break you can send it in and get another so.... thats wat i would do

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    so what exactly are tiger rods?

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
  15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I THINK THE UGLY CATFISH WILL WORK GOOD FOR BOTH SPECIES.

16. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I use a 8 foot catfish ugly stick medium heavy action. I am very pleased with it and I am sure it would be just fine to catch stripper.

17. anlogk8

anlogk8 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would guess that there's not that much difference, though i prefer the one piece in either rod.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the striper rod has less backbone in the tip for live bait fishing.lets the fish get a better hold before the rod loads up.good circle hook rod.

19. Icebox33

Icebox33 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got an UglyStik 7ft MH for Xmas this past year and this will be my first year using it. Im diggin it!