Ugly Stick / Cabelas King Kat / Berkley Big Game

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Shootandfish1, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm ordering a Cabelas Salt Striker Baitrunner Combo with the 10' King Kat rod. My thought is to replace the 10' rod with a 1 pc 7' MH Ugly Stik Catfish for most of time and reserve the 10' for bank fishing when I need more distance.

The combo is only $5.00 + $6.00 extra shipping than for the reel alone.

At the same time, I could order a king kat reel ($15) for a spare/extra or the combo for $30. Keep in mind that Walmart has a 8' Berkley Big Game for $20.

How would the 8' king kat compare to the 8' Berkley Big Game?

I will be fishing in Central Florida-St.Johns River Area for cats and may get to fish salt water from piers.

I looked at the 8' 2-pc Ugly Stik at walmart and liked the action of the 7' 1-pc better plus the 7' would be better on boats.

What do you'll think about this? I've never used a rod longer than 7'-not sure how much more distance the 10' will offer.

Thank in advance-Fred

2. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    You don't need a long fishing rod if you are boat fishing but that 10' King Kat would be good from shore. Yes you will be able to cast much farther than a 7' rod.
    I have a 9' King Cat Pro (discontinued) that I use for all my catfishing.

You'll get tons of different opinions about brands. Just remember it's 2008 and there's a lot of good rods out there.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The King Cat and the Berkley Big Game rods are two different animals. The Big Game is a more "softer" limber rod.The King Kat is a thick more of a broom stick type of muscle rod... :smile2: (using the terms loosely to give you an idea). The Big Game would make a good channel cat rod and the King Kat is more suitable for flatheads and blues and maybe tossing heavier baits and sinkers. If you are targeting anything above say 25lbs( guesstimate)you might want to go with the King Kat. Its totally up to you though I was just mainly describing the differences between the two...Good luck and let us know how you make out...Just as King Cat said you will get different opinions though..

4. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks Mike and Angel-The more I think about it, I think that I may hold off on getting the second combo. I got a 7' ugly stik last trip and a Zebco prostaff 888 last year and really liked it. I plan on getting the same rod in spinning configuration for the saltstriker bait runner and using it maybe 75-80% of the time and the longer rod when I need more distance.

The way cabelas offers thier combos, one has to consider several possibilities- in this case I can get a 10' king kat deliveried for $11. I live in rural KY and if walmart doesn't carry it, I have to order it.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have two 8 ft. king cat spinning rods, and I have never had a problem with them. In fact, my PB catfish a 45 lb. flathead was caught on one. For 25 bucks, you cant beat it. :big_smile:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had all 3 of those rods.

the ugly stik beats the other 2 by a large margin.

7. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use Berkley Big Game Rods, they are good rods for the money. I have landed a lot of cats on them.

9. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I run the 8' Ugly Stick Catfish series. I have 4 right now and I want at least 2 more. I like the breakdown ability of the 8' 2 piece and I have been chunking 4-5 oz since I got them. I spent about 225.00 on one of those breakaway rods at Cabelas, My ugly stick was hanging with it as far as distance. That is probably not the norm and I blame that on my experience with that 12 ft rod. I can load that ugly stick well where I couldnt on the longer rod so it seems. I took that breakaway back.

I have not had a problem in my boat with the 8' either. The only other rod I am looking at is an Ugly stick Stripper series, That is one limber rod. I think it would be a fun rod but i doubt it will chunk a 5 oz I will see, If BPS has one next week than so will I.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Gotta love the UGLY STIK. Got a new one today,LOVE IT.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am with you on this. I love the Berkley rods and for the price you can not beat them.

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I personally would LOVE to see the STRIPPER series but I think you meant "striper"....sorry man just had to say it!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bill

13. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i bought a 6'6'' big game rod and it is tough as nails but not very sensitive at all. i bought a 7 foot big game rod and hooke a big fish and the pole shattered . i dont know if i had a bad pole to start or what but just thought id put my experiance in on them. i use the ugly sticks big cats now and have no troubles out of them they seem to be a better deal for the money.

14. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G

i went to bass pro shops and looked at them and they looked a little week to me imo they had the m/h ones there. the tiger series seems like they would be nice to have

15. Curtis1

Curtis1 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello all, this is my first post. I regularly fish the Greenup Dam. I've caught the Stripers for years. Here for a cheap rod, for Stripers/hybrids, we all use the Cabelas European Predator rods. We're talking distance to get to where the fish are. They're 11' 2pc, 1 3/4 lb test curve, MH actions @ $59. We all use ABUs 5500 and 6500 series. For a really nice, high dollar rig for the same purpose, I use a St. Croix 9' Tidewater series @ $150. I usually throw 1-2 oz Sassy Shads way out there. I'm just starting to get into the catfish here. When I saw a bunch of good'ol hilljacks draggin' in monster cats, nearly a dozen or so, from 35lb on down, I couldn't stand it! I thought what a shame to have that resource right here in my back yard and let it go untapped !!! So I started reading here to see what to get. My main concern was $$$ the cost of the rigs. I couldn't imagine some cat pullin' in a really nice rig like my St. Croixs !!! The first rods I bought were 2 of the Cabelas 9', 2pc, Cat Kings @ $20 ea. I paired them up with a couple of the new ABU TCCF Blue Cat reels, loved the reels, hated the rods. The rods were just that, $20 rods, only 6 guides on a 9' rod ??? About the same class as the Berkley Big Games. With reels mounted on the rods, they just felt off balance and awkward, too top heavy. I honestly don't think that you could have cast them hard enough to load them up for any good distance they were so stiff and large in diameter, maybe good for a short to medium lob with a large cut or live bait. So then I went to Walmart and bought a couple of the Ugly Sticks 7' MH 1pc, @ $30ea. Now here we have much more bang for an additional $10 ea. When I mounted the reels, it all came together, the rigs are balanced, feel great in your hand, and everyone knows how tuff they are, plus they're what I use to surf and jetty fish for the really big saltwater Stripers on the Eastern Shore. I can honestly say that that's the first time that I ever sent something back from Cabelas. Next I'm gonna get a couple Ugly Stick spinning rods 2pc 8' MH, with Shimano baitrunners, not really sure on the reels, any suggestions are welcome. PS,,, LUV THIS WEBSITE, later Curt.:wink:

16. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    On the shimano baitrunner I love the 3500b on a 7' ugly stick. The combo seems to work well. The baitrunner make catching catfish alot of fun. You may want to go with the larger model baitrunner if you are targeting fish over 25#. Just my thoughts