Ugly Stick Big Water

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by r_p_narramore, Jul 5, 2007.

1. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I bought a 12' big water casting last week and gave it a try Sat. I love it. That thing will cast a mile paired with a 7000. It's great for areas that you need to cast a little farther. It is also capable of throwing lots of weight. It's rated 2-12oz. May be a bit much in a boat but is just what I was looking for to fish the dams on the Ohio from the bank. Largest I caught was 10lb. and it handled it easily. Can't wait to try it out on a monster.

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    yeah, there good rods, i have the 8ft spinning heavy acton, and i like it cuz it can cast alot of weight, casts good, and even thow its heavy action, you can still see it jump when fishing for channels, no i have yet to catch anything on it, but ive seen it jump while fishing for channels lol

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I've kinda got my eye on a 10' Big Water Spinning rod.....I've got a 6500 Baitrunner I need a rod for....Dwight

4. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    that would be about as perfect of a match as any ive seen

5. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    The first long rod I bought was a 10' Ugly Big Water caster rated at 2-12oz. like yours. Its as stiff as a brick. I have no doubts that it will pull up the bottom of the lake! I have a 7000 on mine, too. I'm just waiting on a giant hog to come by and give it a tug. I'll be horseing him up out of the murky depths! Doug the delirious

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Bob;
    I have the 15' one and I am still looking for a place to practice at where I can "let it go!" with weights of 2 to 16 oz's!
    I also have the Big Water 8' Heavy Duty, a 10' Med/Hvy and like you have I want to get the 12' Spinning Version and they I will have all the rods I need for any kind of conditions.
    I have to admit that my 8' Heavy Duty is my first choice especially if I am going out on a boat but the others have their places especially when I am NOT going to be on a boat. I guess I am going to end up stopping by the Mississippi river one of these days, maybe after visiting the new Cabela's store in St. Louis, and letting them go and see if I can reach the Illinois bank from the Missouri bank with that 15' with my Spinning Reel that holds 600 yards of 100# test line!
    Still, I think I will wait until the water is "down" a bit before I try!:smile2:
    I'm GLAD that you like your Ugly Stik. There are rods that are more expensive, prettier, better made [in the more $$$ category] and so on, but for the money, it's daggone hard to beat a Bigwater Ugly Stik for going after those "BIGGUN'S"!:wink:
    Here is hoping you get a State Record with your new rod!!!
    I am still hoping to hear from a young friend of mine, whom has posted here on this thread, telling me about his 60#+ Record catch on his Big Water Ugly Stick 8' Hvy Duty Rod and telling me he is sending me an autographed photo too!!:big_smile::big_smile:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of post]]]]]

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive had my eye on a 10' casting rod. Should be perfect for bobber flinging from the bank.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Brian;
    I can't speak for everyone but for me personally, I prefer a longer rod for just about every kind of fish I go after.
    No matter if it's "BIGGUN'S" or small Bluegill or Shad for bait, or something in-between. I use a 7' ultra light for trout, Bluegill, ect and for the in-between stuff I use a 7' to 10' Graphite and for my "BIGGUN'S" I have, as mentioned above, about everything from 8' to 15' long.
    For me, it just seems like I do better casting distance wise and accuracy wise too when I use a longer rod. :big_smile: I believe my young BOC brother; Marshall is finding the same thing out for himself too. :big_smile:
    I know there are other members that prefer shorter rods so thankfully there is almost always several choices in rod length no matter what kind of "Fish" your going after even if it's in salt water.
    I hope all of your choices are the good ones you need every time. But if not, I'm sure there is a BOC member somewhere that will take it off your hands and it will be the "right" choice for them.
    Take Care, Be Happy, and Stay SAFE!!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    yes, i have definetly decided that for me longer is better... i can cast farther, more acuratly, and have more control of the line lay.....