Ugly Stick 12' rods.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by alton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am looking at a 12' Ugly Stick casting rod, the BWC model. This rod has a lure weight of 2oz to 12oz. This seems like an unrealistic range. If anyone has an opinion on this, or has used one, please advise. Thanks.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have one...it's a real broomstick.

Imo, the top half of the range is more accurate.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got one, but rarely use it. It's not a bad rod though.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    theres a couple places on the sandusky bay where i could use one:boss: i have one on my want list for sure

5. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have one, it's a beast. I have a Penn 209 mounted on it with 30# test. I use it to bank fish below a dam. I can throw a 3 oz sinker (plus bait) a good distance. I really never needed to throw a larger weight to get the distance I need.

Take Care

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i stay away from all ugly sticks. IMO they are pure junk.i have had and seen em break many times.i just dont think these rods will hold up very long when chasing big cats or any other fish for that matter.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    12ft bws 1100? they say its rated for 2-12oz, however its really closer to 2-6oz casting anything over 6oz on this rod causes the rod to collaspe which means the rod is overloaded and unloads slightly after you finish your cast. now as far as 2-6 oz this rod will launch them its the first rod i used at a casting tournament and i casted a 5.25oz sinker 452 feet.that was with 20lb test line on a silstar reel. hope this helps.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats odd. Me as well as all my friends use the 7' ugly sticks.
    All of us have gotten hung up and tried to destump the Cape Fear river them many times.
    We have purposely tried to break these rods because they are only 30 bucks. Whats 30 bucks?

We put them under tremendous load to the point you dont want to be standing beside it. You will back up out of fear of flying projectiles.

We've never broke one. I've never seen one break.
    Can I break one? I doubt it fishing. I'm sure I could lodge it between the bumper of the truck and the tailgate and break one though.
    We have landed many flatheads over 40 pounds and several over 50 pounds with the 7' Ugly Cat without one single rod failure.

Those rods are the absolute best 30 bucks I have ever spent. if I broke one of mine tomorrow, I'd likely go buy 3 more.

I will add that I dont care who makes it but a 2 piece or multi piece rod will fail before a single stick. I dont use 2 piecers catfishing.

9. Trophy-Minnow

Trophy-Minnow New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with Mark J. I have never seen or heard of an ugly stick breaking. Personally i've put mine through all kinds of abuse hauling them around from trip to trip. And still works like new.

10. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats is odd, I've got several Ugly Sticks that I have used for awhile now with no problems. I have several 7'ers and 2 12'ers that I have just tried to utterly punish them using and there has not been one problem with them. JMHO

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Sounds like I need to pick up one of those rods! Where can I get one at?

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those Big Water Ugly Sticks are made WAY better (in my opinon) than the regular Ugly Sticks. If your breaking Ugly Sticks on a regular basis I think your prob using them for purposes other than what they are intended for. Lots of folks use the regular black Ugly Sticks for catting, when really Shakespeare has the Ugly Stick CATFISH rods for that purpose. Those rods run $27-33 rods versus $25-30 for the regular Ugly Sticks, so I think for a couple more $'s it's a better idea to buy the rods that are designed for catting. Most of the regular Ugly Sticks are designed to only handle up to an ounce or two at most, so be carefull. If your fishing really big water, then the next step up from the Catfish Ugly Sticks would be the Ugly Stick Big Waters, the Ugly Stick Tigers, the Euorpean made Ugly Stick Black Tigers or the Ugly Stick Customs. So a person can't really make a blanket statement that Ugly Sticks are junk becasue there are so many different models of them. Hope this helps.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i did not mean to stir up any crap about the ugly sticks statement but that is from my experiances.but the fact is.is that catfishing is becomeing more like bass fishing everyday,people think if you are not using a certain rod,reel,ect.then you do not know what you are doing or your way of fishing is totally wrong. people are going to use what every one else is using or becaus it says something like "ugly stick catfish" regardless if it is any good or not.but i do not think i am making a "blanket" statement because i did not jump on the uglystick banwagon. didnt mean to affend anybody but if i did....deal with it.

14. Roll Tide Roll

Roll Tide Roll New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have owned Ugly Stiks since the first xl lifetime models were introduced in the mid 1970-80. I just sent the 2 first ones I owned back to Shakespeare for replacement because I lost the inserts in the handles that kept the reels in place, but never have I had one break. I have 7 models now and even the ultralights handle up to a 15lb blue with no problem. Bends in almost a complete circle, but not once have I heard the crackle of a rod about to snap. About 15 years ago, I made a promise that all I would ever buy would be Ugly Stiks, and now they have an even wider selection of rods, and I just got to get one of each and try them out.

You may have received a bad rod, which Shakespeare would replace for the cost of S/H. But over all, nothing but ugly stiks for me and my family from now on.

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ugly stik owners are just trying to share the fact that its the best rod out there:wink:deal with that:angry:

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    That has to be the first bad words Ive heard about Ugly Stiks. For the money they are hard to beat but you still have to match the rod to your fishing. Ive had em break but that was the tip in the car door.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think too many people love Ugly Sticks for them to be bad rods, but I've only owned one, and the tip broke on it.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've only had 1 break on me. That was in a car wreck that killed my car and broke my ugly stick. I think their great rods!

19. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    This is one of the most immature statements I have seen on this board in the two years I have been coming here.
    Deal with it???? State your opinion and leave this kind of stuff off one of the friendliest sites on the internet.