Ugly Cat vs. ... - just wondering

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jun 19, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I am curious as to what the difference is between the construction of the ugly cat as opposed to the regular uglies , what makes the cat rated higher than the standard black sticks from handling the two i can't feel much difference past the tip being softer on one . I know F&S did a tough rod challenge and the regular ugly was un broken at a 55# dead lift . With that said is the black version just as good and if not why .

2. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I have two of each and the only real diffence I can see is the tips flexibility. I think the cats might be more of a marketing idea, my regular ugly stick can catch anything I catch on my cat pole. Just my opinion though

3. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I think the Black uglys are more for lure casting/small game fishing and are made a little lighter to prevent angler fatigue. The Ugly cats seem a little heavier in build to me...maybe for chunkin' big baits and catchin' big fish.

I have 2 black Uglys. 1 is 6.5' and when matched to a 7' ugly cat the rod diameter is approx 25% less on the black.

I like the Ugly Cats because white is easier to see in low light.

4. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have some of each and haven't noticed that much difference. However I fish almost totally at night, and the black rods just don't work well for me.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Sitting around thinking about fishing as usual and wondering has anyone actually had a 2 piece rod (ugly stick) break at the joint from normal use meaning drag set properly and excessive force like trying to lift logs or other such nonsense ?

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Action for action I believe the only difference is the color. There are 2 grades of Ugly Stik Catfish rod too. One has single footed guides and the other has 2 footed guides. Most Wallys sell the single footed ones. BPS has the double footed.

Cheez

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The reality is that there are so many different models of the "regular" black Ugly Stik that the question is hard to answer. There are some examples of black Ugly's that are very similar in design to the Ugly Cats, some that are much lighter, and some that are much heavier. I always thought it was neat when a company markets something as being Catfish specific, nut other than that, there isn't anything really special about the Ugly Cats. I've got one, it's an excellent rod, as are the other Ugly Stiks I use.