UFC shocker

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Nov 19, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How 'bout the fights? I had a bad feeling that Hughes may lose that fight if he couldn't take GSP to the ground. He didn't seem to take him seriously. Hughes gets hit, then stands back, drops his hands and smiles. Then wham! I guess he should've paid more attention. Now the Sylvia fight was a shocker. I had no clue he could out grapple Monson. He made Monson look like a wee little pest. Wish he would've finished him off though with a big KO. I don't blame Sylvia for not taking any chances.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep..I agree w/ u. Hughes didn't look like himself from the start of the fight. Was really disappointed to see him lose but happy to see Sylvia win. I give Monson a lot of credit though...he got Sylvia down but just couldn't get him locked in on his submission...I'd never seen him fight...he's one big dude! Wonder if those low blows took all the wind out of Hughes?

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Was Surprised That M. Hughes Got Beat.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    It was disappointing to see the home town guy lose, Matt Hughs. I would say that two kicks Straight to the NADS in less than 30 seconds would take the wind out of anyone.
    I live close to Matts home town of Hillsboro. It was a shock to all of us. Everyone is talking now that they hope he quits before he gets hurt badly. A kick to the head like last nite could end up hurting him for the rest of his life.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was really disappointed to see Monson come up short. I know he has the ability to get the job done but giving credit where its due, Sylvia's takedown defense was right on point. GSP however did exactly what I figured he would. He had Matt's number from the opening bell. He just kept up an attacking pace and Matt could'nt get himself established. I suspect that Militich will probably work on Matt matching GSP's pace and Matt might get the belt back...next up Liddell/Ortiz! Who's got who? Im going with Lidell by way of knock out.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am a huge Matt Hughes fan, and almost didn't order the fight, just because I knew he was going to lose. GSP is one bad dude, I don't think he will lose anytime soon, to anyone. I love Matt, but they could fight 10 times, and GSP would win 9 times, I am afraid.

Does not seem like Matt has the fire he once had either, almost like he is getting a little burned out??:confused2:

As for Monson, I was a little suprised, just goes to show though, sometimes "too big" really does exist. It was funny as heck watching him stand in Sylva's guard and not be able to reach his head with his punches though.:smile2:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Me too!! I hope so anyway. Chuck is my favorite MMA fighter, except for maybe Hughes.

If Ortiz wins that fight, you won't be able to get him out of the building his head will swell so fast. I can't stand that mouthy little punk...:angry:

He is one tough SOB, and a good fighter, but he has no respect for anyone or anything in the sport, I hope Chuck cracks his skull this time! LOL:wink:

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

that did look a little wierd didnt it!? Sylvia is one long dude! Sylvia could reach Monson's face while laying on his back!

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hear ya! LOL! There was some recent controversy with Tito and the Marine Corps. I'll PM anyone who wants the details.

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    So what's the scoop on Ortiz? I don't think it will matter once Chuck gets done with him. He will probably be a vegetable or worse afterwards.

11. troythebigcathunter

troythebigcathunter New Member

State:
    Tell city,Indiana
    i hate to disagree but i think that ortiz is gonna win the fight, tito retired a legand in ken shamrock,Who by the way chuck would never fight because of not enough money,lol,Sounds like back bone to me,I don`t like the new dude silva who beat rich franklin into a peice of hamburger meat,Matt hughes is good but very arrogant to me,Glad to see him lose,Monson never had a chance against sylvia,But i do think everyone is gonna see a new champion in tito ortiz and chuck will retire

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Tito retired a Kent Shamrock 10 years after Kent should have quit fighting. Shamrock is not even Shamrock any more, he has taken to much punishment, and been in to many wars to fight these young dudes. His reflexes are almost non existant, and he punches like he is holding 50lb dumbells in his hands.:sad2: He is a legend, and one of the best all time, but to try to predict what Ortiz will do against Chuck based on his fights with Shamrock simply won't work. Chuck did not fight Shamrock because he had nothing to gain or prove in doing so, I guarantee it has nothing to do with being afraid of him.

He is a very good fighter and athlete, but I think/hope Chuck caves his head in. If it goes to the ground, Tito may have a nice advantage though, I don't think I have ever seen Chuck on the ground?? He does such a good job of keeping the fight on the feet.

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

It's been said that Chuck has the best takedown defense in the game. Tito cant go blow for blow standing up that's for sure. If Tito tires Chuck out, then maybe.

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Anderson Silva has been around for a long time. Prior to coming over to UFC, he was over in Pride for a while. If you ever get a chance to see some of his fights over there, jump on it. He's got a really ground game too. He's trained with Brazilian top team on and off and he's also part of the Chutebox Academy with Wanderlei Silva.

15. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Silva is pretty bad, like a lot of the Pride fighters, he will do well in the UFC.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Just lucky it is not Wenderlie Silva. That man is B - A - D!! If you ever watch Pride fighting, watch this guy. He is the nastiest, meanest, "want to hurt you" I have ever seen fight. He literally wants to HURT people, not just beat people.

In my opinion, there are several guys fighting in Pride that would completely dominate the UFC, if they were to come over. There are MEN fighting over there, that have been doing it for years, there is not one fighter in the UFC I could think of that could hang with any of the top three fighters from Pride. Good Stuff!:smile2:

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    My man Chuck is gunna win by KO im putting money on it. I have a video of all his one punch KOs and im guessin that videos gunna have to be updated after december:tounge_out: for that punk Ortiz. hes got it comin, comeon, its chuck liddell, the light heavy weight champion for how long?

18. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
  19. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Chuck has the best sprawl of any fighter I've seen. There's virtually zero chance Tito will get him on his back. Also, chuck won't hunt him down. Chuck doesn't waste energy on a bunch of meaningless punches. Time after time, he gets rushed by a fighter with something to prove, and they walk right into his deadly uppercut. He WILL find Tito's button, and punch it. I predict Tito will attempt to shoot in on Chuck, meanwhile, he will sustain a crushing blow to the jaw.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That is going to be a great fight and possibly to close to call if it goes to the score cards, which I doubt. I hope Chuck is brushing up on his grappling skills he will need them.