U.P. black bear.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by kat buster, Aug 20, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Is any body here hunting black bear in the U.P. of Michigan this year. My dad is and I get to help him bait but school gets in the way of the huning trip so I cant go. But anyways I would like to know if any body els is hunting them and the way they hunt them.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hunting the highland swamps of the U.P can be very difficult. I use to look for old hollow stumps to bait up. Black Bears will eat almost anything...especially when natural food sources are scarce or the population grows to large. To get them in sight can be a challenge....getting them out of the swamps afterwards an even bigger challenge. I have used fish carcasses from the fish I had dressed, dog food, donuts, apples, honey...you name it they will eat it. Sweet seems to work best though. If you bait and hunt you will probably have to contend with skunks and Ravens...LOL. Tell your dad to make accurate shots. Make a clear shooting lane so the shot is not deflected preventing a clean kill....dealing with an injured bear can be very nerve wracking...especially if the search for it runs into darkness.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A slow honey or fish oil drip in a slow or small stream can carry a bait sent for miles.2 liter to gallon bottles work fine. You can weight them down,poor your bait in and put the lid on.When you get to your spot,punch a few small holes around and hang it or drop it in the water and tie it off submerged if you want to hide it.A small trickle of water is best.It will carry the scent for miles downstream,plus any cross wind will pick up the sent on the water and carry it farther.Bass Pro sold me fish oil by the gallon and grocery stores sell honey.You can also blend and liquefy oily canned fish with water and do the same.You are baiting with a chum slick just like fishing for sharks.You can also hang these high and let them drip on the bushes around a stand.peewee-williams

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You left out the old surefire bait for putting in a hollow stump.At dusk dark wedge a bucket in the stump and pour in a gallon of shine and a quart of honey.Come back at daylight and listen for a snore.Be careful when waking up a hung over bear.They can be mighty grouchy.You can use water and honey to get a bear coming.Use the shine and honey so that it will stay close to sleep it off.Use only when legal.peewee-williams

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Pee Wee:eek:oooh: ....LOL...:crazy: it sounds like it just might have worked:tounge_out: ...LMAO

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ain;t any might to it.It all came from a old East Teneesee Game Worden.These are all working illegal ways that they found people killing bears with over the years.peewee-williams

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My dad and grandfather have both done well over by lake Gogebic.

I doubt that peewee's advice is legal, but it sure is funny. :lol:

I remember driving up on a hung-over bear with my grandfather. It ate some fermented raspberries and literally slept soundly less than 5 feet off the truck bumper with the horn BLARING at him. we laughed and let him get his rest. Next mornin he was gone, so were all the fermented raspberries in the patch.

Be safe.

Sal

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Your right Sal...they love those wild raspberries and blue berries up there....heck so did I...LOL