U-40 cork sealer

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bill in SC, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The cork handles on my American Spirit Pro Nite Stick rods were starting to look kinda rough. I love my Nite Sticks and want to preserve them as well as I can. Through this forum I found out about the U-40 cork sealer. A small jar costing about $4 will do at least 12 rods. It is a water based polymer. I applied it to my handles with a small bristle brush. They look and feel great. The hardest part was picking all the shad scales off the handles before applying the U-40! :wink: Might be a scale or two permanently sealed to the handles. :smile2: I got mine off eBay. I would definitely recommend that anyone treat their cork handles with the U-40, preferably when they are new. The stuff:

Enhances the cork feel
    Toughens the cork
    Reduces chipping and degradation of the cork
    Seals against dirt and oils.

Bill in SC

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep Bill, Its the best thing to put on them in my eyes as well..

I posted about it several times when people asked about something that would toughen up their cork and this will do it for sure!!!:wink: Reps to Bro for bringing it up again since everybodys cleaning/putting up stuff for the winter. It will do the cork well!!:cool2:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    YOU are the one that told us about it Kenny! :smile2: I'm not putting stuff away. We are gearing up for our best time of the year to fish. Wintertime blues are wide open here in the South/East. Kenny, what does it do for the eyes? Does it help seal the inserts in the eyes? Reps backatcha!

Bill in SC

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for bringing this tip back to the top. I remember reading it before but forgot the name. Now will try to purchase some before I forget it again.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    (Yep Bill, Its the best thing to put on them, in my eyes as well..)

Figure of speech Bill:big_smile: I forgot the comma, I look at it the same as you..Something like that LMHO.

Yeah I wish I was closer over/too your way. I'd be bothering you to death, every chance I got!!to go chase them blues:big_smile:

Good luck on some Big Fish Bro..Br Safe.

Kenny:cool2:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Plan a trip anytime, and we'll hit the Santee for some monster blue fishin'!

<(Yep Bill, Its the best thing to put on them, in my eyes as well..)

Figure of speech Bill:big_smile: I forgot the comma, I look at it the same as you..Something like that LMHO.>

:embarassed: I didn't read it right, Kenny! I missed the "in" part! LOL!

BB in SC

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Thats cool..

Your on Bill!, Let me get some extra funds up and I'll be on my way..I haven't been on a vacation my whole life!, I think its time for a week or 2:wink::big_smile: No Joke I dont know when But that sounds real good to me..:wink:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You are welcome anytime. I already had one group of Kentuckians here this year. Both caught PBs. Santee is gearing up for the winter bite, and Winyah Bay is too. Heck, the James is only 5 hours from here and I like to hit it at least a couple of days a year. All it takes is fuel and my boat won't stop.
    BB

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have been planning on buying this stuff for a while, but being only a $5 item at Cabela's, I've been waiting to go to one of their stores or need to make an order of something else so I could tack it on to a larger order. I don't want to pay shipping for a $5 item. I looked around locally for it, asked several people at different shops where cork handled rods were sold, they had no idea what the stuff was, and they didn't carry it. One offered to sell me a new rod though. "What would I use to seal the cork on my new rod?" I asked. They didn't know. I have rods, that isn't the problem.

Thanks for bring it back up, I have a real old thread bookmarked so when I ever do get around to that Cabela's order I wouldn't forget what it was called. It sounds like it will do exactly what I want it to do.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Wheres the James at from Ky Bill? Sorry I don't know but I don't get around much bro.

12. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Reading this thread, I kept flashing back to The "Cork Soaker" skit on SNL..:smile2:

Sorry guys, I just had to throw that in.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    got it Bill, pulled it up on google earth. pretty big river system.. where you put in at?

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    567miles, 9hr-35min trip to Santee from here, some small lefts and rights but almost a straight shot.:wink: Figure I can make that in about 8hrs, pulling in there around 12-1pm...find motel, eat, sleep, wake up and fish:smile2:

Its got me thinking pretty hard:wink::big_smile:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just let me know a week ahead of time, Kenny. We are WAY behind cutting soybeans due to the weather.If you are planning a "week or two" trip, it will have to be in January. If you come in December, it would have to be a two or three day deal with me due to being behind. It won't take us long to get caught up if we can get some good weather. Santee is 2 hours south from my house. The James is 5 hours north of my house in Virginia. We put in at Deep Bottom. Check out the Virginia rivers section to see what they haul out of there! Winyah Bay is also 2 hours south of my house. Our first cast of '09 resulted in a 51 pound blue there, and the fishin' is great there too. Work yourself up a plan and holler back. Between me and all my guide friends at the Santee, I guarantee that we can get you on some trophy blues! RARELY get disappointed here in SC in the winter time!

BB

16. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Been posted on the rod review before, but not everyone may have read it. It's probably hands down the best thing you can treat cork grips with. Urathane will work but eventually starts cracking. U-40 will stay flexible for years and if it wears just clean your grips good and re-apply. And lets face it with cork prices increasing every 2 years and good rods as well, a very smart investment!:wink::wink:

17. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love my American Spirit Rods but the cork is coming off like crazy. I am glad to here that the cork sealer is working well. I got some a while back after reading a post about it here but have not had a chance to use it yet. I will put some on my rods before my next trip.:006:

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's GREAT Stuff I use it on all my rod's !!! :wink:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If your cork is really bad, I'd suggest a piece of 220 sandpaper to knock the high spots off. The U-40 will go into any crack and seal it well.

BB in SC

20. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for the infromation Bill, I just ordered some for my rods.