Typing isn't the same as talking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    First let me thank all who questioned my absence. Lot of good people here, and i missed you all.

there have been several posts by me that haven't been understood the way i meant, and that is the nature of the beast when you are dealing with words and not voice inflection and facial expressions. i regret that some have been put off by said posts.

taking time to reflect on those posts and the resultant misunderstandings hasn't been all that helpful as yet. the nature of this type of public forum, seems to me, is always going to foster that type of mis-communication between people that haven't met or become personally acquainted in some way.

most times, mis-understandings can be overcome with effort and time, but sometimes it doesn't get done. that is not good, but it is reality. there are personalities that seem to be at odds and it seems like sometimes that difference can't be overcome.

the injury i suffered 4 months ago has affected me more than i realized or wanted to admit. it is almost healed physically now, but the nerve damage results in almost constant pain or discomfort. i am not going to stay on painkillers, so i just have to get used to it. in reflection there is no doubt in my mind that that situation has affected my attitude. i apology deeply for any offence i have caused in the last 4 months. i am ultimately responsible for my attitude and demeanor, and blaming it on my inability to deal with a little discomfort is lame.

difficult to express what i want to without speaking, but i feel that i owe a debt of explanation to BOC members.

i am trying to be careful in what i say because i don't want this moved to HI. i believe that all members are owed an explanation and i know that many of you don't go to HI. perhaps i will opt out also. might solve some things. causing a rift or ruckus on the BOC is not what i want to do, nor be involved in.

thanks to Paul, Mike, and Eric for their patience and effort.

and Vic, i don't think you're going to find "greener pastures".

2. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    Welcome back. I missed your commentary anyway.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It is good to hear from you and sometimes we all have issues. You have been missed, regardless of our differences. You probably shouldn't opt out of HI either, since I hosted a funeral for you in there LOL!

I hope the health is better both physically mentally and emotionally.
    You, as are all the other members, are an integral part of our daily lives and are appreciated. Just appreciated "differently" then others. :big_smile:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome back Phil,we've missed you!

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I am glad to see you back. I believe it's called the Serenity Prayer...God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.. Hang right in there!
    Don

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Hey Phil I'm glad your back he!! I thought you were gone cause school started back and you had to go back to your crossing guard job.:big_smile: :lol: Glad to have you back.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Good to see you back Phil.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Never noticed you were gone! LOL! Yea rite! Good to see that mugg again and hear them typed words. LOL!

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Glad you're back, Phil. And hope the hurtin' stops.

-Red

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So happy to have ya back Phil,I don't know what type of injury you have suffered but I do understand my husband sufferes pain everyday due to his neck being fused twice and the resultant pain hasn't been good and I can tell by his voice inflections when he's not feeling good.Hang in there brother and feel free to pm me any time.When it comes to pain we understand.-------pk powell:smile2:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glad you are back Phil and you can come clean now. Your wife has had you in the dog house because you let those two dogs get in a fight.:lol: :lol:

I missed yea Phil:smile2:

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    HEY..WELCOME BACK BIG BIRD!!!:tounge_out: Typing...the written message.... It's almost like watching a full moon at night...as you watch it seems to fall out of the ski..the written word can be just as misunderstood.:confused2:

Great to see you back Phil:big_smile: ...we missed you.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome HOME, Mr. Washburn!

Amen to the typed words being misinterperted. Sometimes it is irrepairable but not most times. Glad you are back.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome back Brother Shure did Miss Ya! As So many on this site did also!! Your A GOOD Man. Your Friend from the Hawkeye State. J.D.Straka :big_smile:

15. chattycatty

chattycatty New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome back, Phil. It's true the written word is sometimes misinterpreted, but your post seems to be both eloquent and humbling. I appreciate the post, even though I can't say that we've ever met here. I look forward to any future posts you may make. Nice to meet ya, by the way.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Phil, I could have that post. perhaps many of us could have. I believe most of us that do lots of posting may understand how these things get. I for one have went to bed more than once questioning a post I have made. Keep posting I have enjoyed many of you post and our banter. By post more we become more aware of our fellow brothers up and downs and in the end this is a good thing.

welcome back

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well said, Danny - i think you're spot on with that statement

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

and Vic, i don't think you're going to find "greener pastures".

What does this mean exactly? Look at my avatar...:big_smile:

19. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What about the rest of the time?:tounge_out:

20. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You are so right, inflection and expressions add so much to the spoken word.
    Like the old saying goes, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

If it were always possible to properly interpret the printed word, Shawn would understand that we Conservatives really like him and are just busting his chops.
    Well, 1/2 of that statement's true! :tounge_out: :big_smile: