Types of knots

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What type of knots do you feel the most confident with? Do you ever tie different knots with different strength of line or certain type of rigs....just curious what other people prefer.

2. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I find myself useing the palomar knot most and probably the improved clinch second most.

3. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I like the palomar knot it's easy to tie and it's strong. I'd like to learn the Snell.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Im trying to learn the snell but I can't find a good source to learn it from..any hints

5. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

6. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Try to look in the library. There are a few articles in there and some links. One site is animated and that helps.Good luck to you. A poor knot is where the line breaks.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Palomar is my knot of choice. If im in a hurry ill tie a double clinch - at least i loop it twice before doing the spiral.

8. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Hey thanks Big Vert that was a good link. I'm repin you.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    yeah go to google and type in snell knot and reap the rewards. I have been tying uni knot snells. They aren't too hard

The palomar is about the best I have experimented with braided line and it is pretty consistent. There is another knot called the braid knot or something which is basically where you double your line over and tie a clinch knot if I recall correctly that can be used in a pinch when you can't tie a palomar because you have a big lure or something that makes it hard.

The berkley knot isn't talked about a bunch but it is a good knot in mono. I consider it as good as a palomar but only with the mono.

It isn't hard to experiment for yourself. Tie a sinker on to each end of a chunk of line with the experimental knots and pull.

I use snaps so I can use palomars on every braid connection & snells on the mono. I've read a study where snelled circles have a better hookup ratio than tied on ones. It kinda makes sense.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Im quoting myself...that is a trilene knot lol.

11. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I use the palomar knotfor most of my connections,sometimes i will use the uni-knot.For snelling,i use the uni as well.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    To tie my main line (15 pound test) to the swivel, I swear by a Palomar. Strongest, easiest knot going. I don' tlike it in heavy line though. Too bulky and hard to pull tight.

I attack my leader material (usually 50#) to the swivel with a Uni Knot and pull it tight to form a small loop. Don't know if it really helps, but I like to think that little loop gives the bait a little more freedom to move around.

I snell me hooks. A couple of tips on snells:
    1) I got a piece of brass tuping from the hardware store - just about 1/16 ince diameter - and cut a few peices around 2 inches long ans smoothed the ends so they weren't sharp. I lay the tube along the hook shank make the wraps for the snell around the shank and the tube and they pass the end through the tube, pull out the tube and pull the knot tight. It's just so I don't have to try to force the end of the line under the loose wraps of line.

2) I have had some trouble with snells breaking in the hook eye on up-turned eye hooks. The wire of the hook end right there in the eye and the line from the snell rubs right on the end of the wire. Test your knots. Sometimes I have trouble with that end of the wire cutting the line.

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Palomar knot is the way to go. Easy to tie, and it is very strong.

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    www.walleyehunter.com/knots.html#snelling

Here ya go. Snelling is an essential part of my tackle for leaders and such.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I think it called a "double duncan loop" or something of the sort.
    Its like a cinch knot but, you double the line back over itself and then wrap (6) and back over wraps & through loop. lube/wet, pull & Clip tag.
    www.tollesbury.co.uk/knots/knot_gallery.htm

Pretty informative site.

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I used to loose alot of fish until I started using the palomar not with braided line now I havent lost one since from the not breaking or coming loose.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hard to beat the polomar knot and clinch knot.

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I use a trilene knot to tie my main line and leader to my swivel. If I'm tying it with braid I will stick the line through the two loops like instructed but then I will slip it back through one of the loops before pulling tight. I snell most of my hooks, if not a snell I use the trilene.

19. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use the palomar most times but I found a snell knot that's easy for me any ways #1 thread the line through and make a small loop pic 1 #2 wrap the line through the loop around the line and hook shank 4-5 times with heavy line more with lighter lines #3 pull tight from bouth ends trim and fish. It tackes some practice but I can tie this as fast as other knots. Let me know what you think not all my ideas are genius LMAO

Ned

Attached Files: