Types of Fish in the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by xxx MASTERFISHER xxx, Apr 4, 2006.

1. xxx MASTERFISHER xxx

xxx MASTERFISHER xxx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey, I'm fairly new to fishing in the missouri river and I was just wondering what types of fish are in it. I've looked around on the web but can't find any sites that really tell me much. Thought you guys might be able to help.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I can help a little.

Catfish of course, blues, flatheads, and channels. I generally fish it for blue cats.

Several species of carp. Drum, sturgeon, goldeye, gar, and shad.

All of the above can be regulary caught with the right bait, or with a castnet for shad.

On rare occasion, you might catch crappie, bluegill, sunfish, bass, northern pike, muskie, and walleye, but you would be pretty disappointed if you went in targeting these species. I don't know if these fish reproduce in the river, or just wash in from lakes and smaller streams.

I've probably missed a few, as this was off the top of my head.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Picture it like this. What ever kind of fish are in any of the waters that flow into the missouri river are in the river. I will bet you one thing there are way more walleye,bass,crappie and such then a person would think. There native why would they not reproduce? Just when you think of a dirty ol river you just happen to assume catfish and carp. I thought about going bass fishing on the river. Might just have to do it this year. The bass right now are turning on big time at the lake.

4. xxx MASTERFISHER xxx

xxx MASTERFISHER xxx New Member

State:
    Missouri
  5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "why would they not reproduce??

Because something bigger eats them first? :)

Jared, I like your quote: "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't"