Types of Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Chris, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    My wife and I will be heading up to Lake Marion on Friday. I was going to use some mullet for bait, I will cut it up into fillets. The mullet will be frozen at the time. Is there any addition fees for the lake besides just the freshwater fishing lisence. Trying to keep the expenses down during the trip.

Thanks
    Chris

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I don't know of any additional fees. If you have a state license, that is all you should need. What area are you planning to fish?

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    We will fishing around the Polly Landing area, this is our first time going up thier, is there any type of bush and underwater stucture or backwaters that I could fish?

Thanks
    chris

4. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Chris were is Polly landing? I never heard of it. Some places might charge 2 or 3 bucks to put in, but there shouldnt be any additional fees. I dont know where Polly landing is, but the old river runs all the way through lake Marion. Find the old river channel and fish it, a map and a depth finder helps. How big are the mullet that you will be fishing with?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Steve, Polly's Landing is on the north side, a little east of I-95.
    Chris, I've never fished that particular area, but I've heard it is good for bream in the backwaters, although the big bream should be starting to move into deeper water now. We just had a full moon, so there are probably still some in the shallows. This will likely be the last time they spawn this year.
    I don't know about the catfishing, but it isn't far from the main lake and the channel curves up that way. There are some backwaters right there at the landing, follow the creek. There are drop-offs in the lake and the shallows should still be good at night.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    i was going to use the sides from the mullets about 3in strips, I hope that it dosent rain this weekend because the hurricane suppose to hit florida early Sunday Morning.

chris

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Chris call Steve Shipley 803-854-4727 he lives and fishes up that way so he can probably give you the scoop.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    What are considered game fishes and what are considered NONgame fish here in SC?

What is the Lakes and Reservoirs Permit? I am reading out of the 2006 Rules and Reg book. Lakes and Reserviors Permit (vaild when using cane pole and natural bait in the following areas only.) Lakes Marion, Moultrie, Murray, Greenwood, Wylie, Fishing Creek, Wateree, Thurmond, Stevens Creek, Hartwell, Richard B. Russel, Jocassee, Keowee, Ashwood and Parr Reservoir, Monticello Reservoir, and Monticello Sub-Impound.... The permit cost $3.00, Does this mean that if I used live bait, worms etc..that I have to buy this permit?

Thanks
    Chris

9. Knockingbottom

Knockingbottom New Member

State:
    Manning, SC
    non-game is cats, carp and mudfish. Permit is for people who fish with a cane
    pole and bait only, usually old ladies at landing. If you have a fiberglass pole
    then you need a regular fishing license. Just get a regular license and you'll
    be ok.