Type of screws to use

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SCcatman, Feb 26, 2009.

1. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I plan to use 2x2 lumber and simpson strong ties to attached the braces to the ribs in the boat. I purchased #8-5/8" self tapping metal screws from Home Depot, they are ZINC, after i got home I starting thinking about if the ZINC screws will corrode the aluminum...can someone verify if this will happen or am I good to use them?

Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My understanding is the only metal compatible with aluminum is stainless steel or an aluminum screw. I can't for the life of me remember if brass is compatible. LOL Here is a table I found if it will help any...

http://www.mckmetals.co.nz/aluminium-page7.asp

Whoa, seems as though brass is a big no-no.

3. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    go stainless about to start the same project got screws today at lowes 25 for 10$ and some change.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Aren't the strongties galvinized? Put a layer of something non-metallic between the m and the hull. Vinyl flooring might work...

In truth, it's salt water that makes for bad juju w/ dissimilar metals. You can get away with a lot in fresh water. Still, an ounce of prevention, yada, yada, yada...

5. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I went ahead and exchanged them for stainless, however I bought a box of 50 #8-3/4" for $4.37 plus tax.

I assume you purchased a larger??

I believe they are glavanized, I was not aware that would corrode aluminum??

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yeah, brass, zinc, galvanized is all bad for aluminum. Says right in my owners manual to only use stainless or aluminum in the boat.