type of reel for rods over 10 feet long

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathunter600, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    which type of reel spinning or baitcaster would be better for a rod say about 15 feet in length.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The same arguments you make for a six foot rod holds true here also. It is entirely personal preference. Lots of people are not comfortable with a bait casting reel and others are not comfortable with a spinning reel. For those that use both, they probably will try both type of reels on the pole before they decide which reel to use exclusively.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Both have pros and cons. First I assume you can use a baitcaster. Baitcasters require more attention and have more moving parts to maintain than a spinning reel. I also feel and good quality casting rod and reel setup will cost much more than I good spinning set up. I have both casting and spinning set up and are all on 12' rods. I would have to say for ease of operation and cost, the spinning rod and reel set up is the way to go. I personally fish with Abu 6500 and 7000 on 12' rods, but I also have three spinning 12' rigs ready. I guess it just depends. Good luck.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My 12 foot rigs all have Abu 7000,and Tidewater 30L .baitcasters. They work for me.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'd think a 6000 size abu would be a little small for a 15' rod. i was casting most of the line off with a 12' night stick. id think youd need a high line cap reel unless you werent going for distance:confused2:. I'm a huge fan of the Pflueger contender they come in spinning and baitcasting.:wink:

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like and use both. I don't use 15' rods,mainly 8'. I can cast far with my spinning reel on an 8' ugly stik. Really depends on what you are looking for.

7. southtxcatter

southtxcatter New Member

State:
    texas
    ten four!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Penn 320GTi that I think is perfect for that type of rod.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    The only 2 I own that are big enough to put on a 12' rod would be.

ABU, M7700CL
    7000iCS

But 6500 on into the 10000 series would be great for them,IMHO..