Type of equipment required for the wels catfish?

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by maddcatter, Feb 11, 2006.

1. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    What size line, rods, reels and hooks are required to have a legitemate chance at landing one those monsters.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    josh i landed a 35 lb blue on 12 lb cheap wal-mart line and a med bass rod with a quantum small baitcaster .

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am and I am not like most other Wels fisherman and women! I use Spinning gear primarily and know others that use Baitcasting gear only. I also have Baitcasting gear that I can use for Wels catfishing, but still use Spinning gear user by choice. My rods are 10' and 11' Heavy BPS CatMaxx and I am using 100lb. PowerPro as my mainline and Krystron Snakebite as my leader. The hooks and swivels are Heavy Duty and are capable of digging in on the take and also holding the fish throughout the fight. I know that the choice of gear is a personal one and I accept that other use something else. The other equipment is as required and is more of an option. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to take a trip to Europe within the next couple of years. I'll be spending most of my time fishing.

5. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Josh,

Typically you would need no less than 80lb mainline braid with your hooklink being near to or around 100lb in breaking strain. We use sea rods called uptiders as a rule, 10ft 6" in length with a through action 5-6lb testcurve. I use multiplyers like the penn 330's or the albacore 020 with about 350 yards of mainline. My banksticks are custom built so the tip stand some 15ft off the floor, They come as a two rod setup with a sturdy base plate to secure in the ground from which two rod rests are placed, I will post a pic soon of our new wels set up. We previewed it at a fishing show just yesterday to a great response. There were even other guides who looked at my pebble rig who swore to adopt it in this years fishing which is a huge bonus for overall catfish care. The show saw some 10,000 anglers from the south of England, there sure was some bargains like 3 carp rods and reels, 3 buzzers and bite indicators and a rod pod for just £75. Hope this info helps Josh, have a look at our website for more monster pics.

Stephen

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    That does help. I'll be sure to take your advice whenever I make over there to fish.

7. Kentucky357

Kentucky357 New Member

State:
    Covington, Georgia
    Where do you mostly find the Wels cat?

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Bill, the Wels catfish is found in Europe and Asia.
    Will

9. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    yeah they come from the rivers and have found their way into some lakes, the wels travels short distances over land, but love a deep hole in the river or a sunken cave to hide and ambush prey. I catch most my wels in less than 4metres of water. They like muddy water and are not shy in showing themselves.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Stephen,
    Looking over you website, im interested in your pebble rig.. Seems that would be an outstanding river rig for Flatheads over here..
    Im trying to understand how its all rigged. I seen the pictures on your site, but dont understand a couple of things..
    From what I can tell, you have the clip with rubber bands tied on it. You take a stone, wrap rubber bands around stone and the clip is attached to swivel with leader, hook, and bait on it... I'm assuming you then tie the line from your pole to the end of the swivel?? Also, when the fish strikes, how does the stone then become disconnected from your line?....

Also, Im assuming with the size your using, you hand throw the stones out as opposed to casting them?

11. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Once the pebble is in the band the eye of the clip swivel is either left to run freely along the mainline or it is fixed to the hooklink swivel from the off to make it a fixed pebble.

The band rolls the pebble on a direct line under pressure, so when the fish picks up the bait, moves and hits the pebble it bolts leaving the band to ping the pebble.

Most pebbles are placed to structures by boat although some marginal shelves can be fished shot put style (remember to open reel bail arm lol)

Pebbles can be cast but usually no more than 4-6oz, and you have to cross band the pebble with a single twist.

Fishing light Ron isnt always a good idea, the catfish in your profile was caught on heavier gear than I use. I would rather land the fish than have it snap me up or take me into a snag due to lack of control from using under rated tackle.

I reckon the pebble rig will catch a lot of shy feeding fish out this year all over the world. You can slide a smaller pebble on a band and swivel down your mainline to act as a backlead pinning most of your line to the bottom of the river or lake.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Stephen, Thanks!!.. Your pebble rig really has me thinking heh..
    Seems to me, a smaller version would be the ultimate river rig..

Basically, a Break-away weight for practically 0 cost AND no leaving lead in the water, etc... I'm going to have play around with this for sure...

13. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing

Tim let me know how you get on with it ;)

14. catman in spain

catman in spain New Member

State:
    tarragona
    i hvae a question for stephen buss with your vast knowledge of wels catfishing stephen can you tell me how to sex a catfish, you know what is the diffrence in a female and a male. i know what it is a spawning time i am not intrested in this period of the catfishes life as i am very aware of what happens when and where. but the question lies what is the diffrence between a male and female all year round diffrences and what is a male and female catfish called. in detail please, if possible. also what are the temperatures they start to lose there appetite before they spawn. i hope you can manage to answer my questions with your vast knowledge of wels catfishing i see you pst here frquently so i would presume you can get an answer to me soon
    many thanks gary sheridan

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Welcome Gary

In this instance I think you will have to become a star member to get that sort of answer out of me

;)

16. Big Ron

Big Ron New Member

State:
    England
    What is this Star member lads ?

and Gary ....a mail cat is called TOM lol LOL lol

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio

A star member is any member who donates a minimum of $10 which can be done through the BOC donation page by clicking to the right, or you can click here!

18. Big Ron

Big Ron New Member

State:
    England
    Thanks for that info Ram Rod ....will it except ££££££

Just back from 3 weeks in Spain ....guiding lads ....lots of cats where caught up to 156.00 lbs , we averaged about 20 a day and I will post the weights as soon as I have some spare time ....I am in the process of releasing a DVD on Spanish catfishing :) :) do you lads think it would be of any interest to the members on here ???

what do you think ? ....... Ron

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    what web site are you guys talking about? I'd love to see a cat that requires 100# test line.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I for one am interested! I'd love to see a DVD on those big catfish. They are awsome!