Type of Boat, I m looking for a S.U.V.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kmcalester, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am looking to buy a boat here in the near future, and I love to fish lakes, streams,rivers, oh what the heck; any hole that might hold a decent fish I'd fish it.

I know I can find a boat that is like a s.u.v. that does it all. For rivers what's the smallest boat would I want to put on there and feel suceure at night?

On a big lake or reservior I want to be able to get from A-B-Z, and not be turned side ways be a bigger boat knocking me over with it's big waves.

On smalller streams off big rivers I want to be able to go up and not get stuck.

So I guess in a nut shell I am asking what is a good size welded alum. boat that can do it all and I feel secure in it with me and my friends and family, but enough know how to do what ever I want it to do.

Size, Power, Length, Width.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You are looking for a boat that probably does not exist. Not sure you can find a v-hull design that will handle rough water and yet still have the ability to run very shallow waters. Find out what is most important for the majority of your fishing and go with the best compromise.

P.S. If you find that 'perfect' boat, let us know.

Good luck! Not trying to be negative, just pointing out the two most obvious conflicts you are facing in finalizing your hull choice. Flat bottom for low draft and better stability, V-Hull to cut through the heavy chop and provide a more comfortable ride in the swells.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nothing says you can't have two boats! LOL! :smile2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin there is a lot of boat shows in progress at this time.Take the time and visit some and ask lots of questions. Good luck on your search.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well there is probably no boat to meet all the needs you have. But in my opinion, the most versatile boat would be a modified V jon boat. Handles waves better than a flatbottom, but still goes shallow for those small creeks and ponds/lakes. Get a wide one and it will be stable. That is why a lot of people around here use jon boats. We can go out in a river (or the chesapeake bay on a calm day), ponds, creeks, and we hunt, fish and crab and joy ride in them. Thats just my opinion, but like i said, there is no boat to do everything.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Do what i did talked all my fishing buddys into buying boats.We all owe differant styles and what ever water we are fishing we have the right boat to use.

But really Kevin there is no one boat that will fit every need but you will find one that will work good just do a little research.

Have fun fishing in that new boat......Send us some pic when you get it.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    How much do you want to spend? That will narrow it down a lot as to your decision.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
  10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'll second that. It's got to be one of the most versatile boats around.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Forgot about the River Pro. That looks like a good one to consider.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One word - "SeaArk" with a jet will get you in the same places as a River Pro as well. Just giving you options, I may be wrong but I think the SeaArk uses the thickest aluminum in their boats than any other boat manufacturer out there. Hope this helps.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This does answer my questions, maybe I'll just get something like a Pro-v boat for the river and big lakes, and smaller jon boat for streams.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know my Duracraft will handle some rough water. Plus it will go as shallow as you dare. It's a 12 degree V with a tunnel hull. The boat's like a tank on water.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i've seen a big flat bottom carolina skiff that seems to be perfect. The owner said that it did not ride too rough and with the jet lower unit says that he can go REALLY SHALLOW. I wanna ride in it to see if it is as smooth as my V hull, when i get a chance i will let u know

16. tncater19

tncater19 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i think you need a hover craft

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    As someone said, price means a lot. I bought my 20 foot 72 inch floor SeaArk with a 115/80 jet for that reason. I have about $20,000.00 in mine. It goes in 4-6 inches of water, is 94 inches across the beam, has a 15 degree hull, runs about 25mph loaded, 27-28 with just me and Nobody less than a Barge is gonna run you off a lake. I would trust it completely in a chop up to about 3 feet, anything over that and the life jacket is going on. That is just from a lack of experience in a 4 to 6 foot chop.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If money is no object, and you're buying a new boat, there's none in the water better than a SeaArk IMHO. If you want a used boat, keep an eye on Craig's list in your area. The economy is suffering and cash is king right now. Some GREAT deals to be had on used boats right now. I just bought a '96 J-16 Carolina Skiff with a 25hp Tohatsu for 2K, boat, motor and trailer. Excellent condition! Runs like a dream and is a great boat. The search is half the fun! :)
    BB in SC

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    neocats has it figured out !!! :wink: