Type of Bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welkmeister, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    For Mississippi fishin will I always be better off using native bait caught from the river or is there substitutes that will catch fish too? By subs I mean goldfish, black salties, bluegill, etc???

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, first off, Bluegill are native to the river.

It is my opinion that native bait will MOST of the time outfish alternatives. I say MOST because after all it is fishing and sometimes it is unpredictable. Try a little of both and see what works best for you.

Personally, I have had way more luck with FRESH, NATIVE BAIT, caught that day, live and kickin' with a cast net, out of the same water I am fishing.

Let me at least say that I think that holds true for Flatheads and Blue Cats.

Channel Cats are a different fishy. Find something stinky and you are better off.

Just my experiences and observations.

I predict you'll get lots of different answers to this question.

Good Luck.:big_smile:

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Even though they are not native to these parts, I hear that skipeyes and moonjack will work pretty well too.:big_smile:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

A guy can't get a break can he Ed?

You all are a regular bunch of comedians I tell you.

Oh yes, I will have revenge someday!!!!!:wink:

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I would have never thought of it but you told on yourself again in Cuz's thread yesterday.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thats true Ed. I had to just roll with the punches and play along because this crowd gets pretty brutal. I have somewhat accepted my notoriety. If you ever make a big PUBLIC mistake, be prepared!:crazy:

So yes, I even bring it up once in a while. If I don't someone else will. In fact Crazy and Dreadnaught just got me again in the last few days. What can you do?

After all, it was funny. Just too bad it didn't happen to someone else.:embarassed:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Poor Darryl. But just think how famous it made you in such a short period of time. :tounge_out: Glad you have been such a good sport about it. I'm sure you will have ample opportunity for revenge in the future. I'm very prone to slip ups and being a clutz, so watch closely :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Cuz, my friend, you are somewhere very near the TOP of Darryl1's Radar screen. Be very careful!:smile2:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Poor poor Darryl AKA 'ol skipeye :embarassed::embarassed:

Darryl ('ol skipeye) gave you sound advice, IMHO fish native to the waters in which your fishing seem to be best! Especially freshly caught, still alive as you put them on the hook!

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    FRESH, NATIVE BAIT, ALWAYS

Unless.......... :wink:...........I have skipees. :smile2:

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Bait caught in the water I am fishing and kept alive till the knife gets to it.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    native bait all the way with one exception.even if not native to the water you are fishing fresh skipjack is best cut bait i know.

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I would just like to point out to Darryl that at no time have I ever made any mention of the misidentification of any baitfish of any kind by a member of the BOC. So, not all of us our here to poke fun at your misfortunes.....Besides, why would I join in when its just as fun to just read the replies by EVERYONE else!