Type of anchors used

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jconna, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    What type of anchor does everyone use in the Deep Bottom/Dutch Gap area?

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Ask five people, and you'll get five different answers. Seriously.

I use a river anchor off the front, a mushroom off the back when necessary, and have a fluke as a spare.

Since you're coming up to the James, make sure you have a decent anchor and enough rope 150-200ft so that you can get a good set in the current.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fluke front and back

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    River anchor in the front and a fluke off the back. I hate using two anchors though. Why must it always be so windy on the river:eek:oooh:

5. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Fluke in front and river anchor on back....

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Navy anchor from the front and a river anchor from the back, but hardly ever use this anchor due to it wont hold worth a darn.

7. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks all.....I'm used to fishing in 4 feet of water when on a river and until doing research and asking on here, I never realized you're supposed to have a 1:7 ratio of line vs. depth. 200 feet of line for 30 foot of water....Wow!! I'll need to pick some up, and I have 2 Richtor anchors with a 5' length of chain. They grab on almost anything up here so I hope they work ok down there. May just pick up a River anchor to be safe though....Seems pretty standard from the responses.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know how the current is on the James, but using two anchors in a BIG RIVER will get you in trouble in a heartbeat. I'm talking about the Mississippi and Missouri from my experience.

If the front anchor should lose grip, your boat will swing to with the stern upstream. You will sink the boat before you can react unless that knife is REAL handy.

For a BIG river, use a good anchor off the bow and throw out a drift bucket off the stern. That will lock the boat steady with the current and it is a lot safer!

9. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    wreck anchor is the only one Ill ever use in current..I can anchor in 90ft with 115ft of rope

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the only time i use 2 ancors is in slack water were the current wont keep the boat straight.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I usually lake fish and don't even carry an anchor. What skip said makes sense to me however. I used a drift sock before and it's enuff in the lakes i fish.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    got a pic? how heavy is it?

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Used a homebuilt wreck anchor until I lost it due to a loose shackle. Went to a Richter after that. I personally have never used anything better. They stick and STAY. They don't seem to require as much scope in the line which means you can carry less line and reduce sway in the current.

Rear anchors are useless because they don't stick when you drop them straight down. If you put some scope in the line to get the anchor to stick, every cat you hook up with will get wrapped in the line. In deep water, I use a bucket or sea anchor. 20 feet or less and a soft bottom, I drop a piece of steel i-beam over the side straight down. It sticks and holds fast. Thanks to Cataholic for that tip...

14. ITSBIGT

ITSBIGT New Member

State:
    VA
    yea Ill post it when I get home its about 30lbs including chain

15. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think you'll be fine with just the Richter's and chain. They are good anchors and people use them with success up here.

I've never used 7:1 scope. Probably around 4:1 or 5:1, but it's good to have that extra rope in case you'll need it if the current is ripping.