Type of anchor?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by WhiteCats, Feb 11, 2009.

1. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I am looking to buy a new anchor for a Lowe Stinger 175. I have a 20lb river anchor but need something that will lock on faster. I am considering a 25lb Richter anchor, does anyone use one or have any other idea? Thank you. Kyle

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You'll get a million different answers on this one but check out the lead anchor that Marty (Mr. T) has posted in the library. I made a couple and they hold in most any condition on the Mississippi River. Haven't lost one yet....knock on wood.

Mine are averaging about 26-28 lbs each.

Made of lead and 1/2" rebar. CHEAP to make if you have some lead laying around. When they get a little dinged up just re-melt them in the bowl and they are like new.

Edit: I am anchoring a 2072 SeaArk if it matters and they hold me pretty solid.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I agree make your own and lots of ways to make it , if ya want claws on it look at the library on the boc , or the 1 jeff williams uses .

hell ill make ya 1 its easy !!!!!!!!!!!

4. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I also talked to ccso640 and he said that Steve has a decent anchor that he sells. But I saw what the frozen ground did to the anchor.:confused2:

5. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    i use a slip ring type (home made) about 10lbs to 15lbs. it hooks real good in fast and ruff conductions. i let out extra rope to make it hook harder. if your in 50ft. let out about 75ft.
    good luck

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I used homemade richter anchors when fishing the river regularly. they are easy to make from any round bar.
    I currently use a 20lb navy anchor now that works well in both. It swivels enough to get unsnagged. I have had to pull it loose with the boat a couple of times but that will happen time to time. It is an all around anchor that works well with different bottom structure.

7. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A bigger disc blade with a 2-3ft piece of rod and a eye on the end to hook a rope to does wanders.

8. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    Thank you all for your input. I believe I am going to purchase the anchor that Steve Brown sells. Kyle:cool2:

9. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    They are great anchors hang up real kick and easy to get up have a break away chain you won t regreat it i have bought 2 from steve.:wink:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ctrby has a post round the Arkinsas thread I believe and he has some real nice river anchors ..there like a grapple hook -ya put bout two feet of chain then yer rope..I have found this style anchor lighter and very effective.....