Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used circle hooks when fishing for channel catfish, but I know every fish is not the same.

I have heard alot about kahle hooks. If I fall asleep on the job one night on my boat, and my baitclicker is sounding off like crazy do I need to set the hook on a kahle hook?

What make, type, and size hook do I need to catch a 80+ pound flathead? I'll be using live bait with the hook idk what kind yet if you have any recommendations feel free to let me know as well.

What make, type, and size hook do I need to catch a 140+ pound bluecat? if you have any recommendations on type or kind of bait feel free to let me know as well.

Thanks,
Blake

Premium Member
You set the hook on a Kahle hook just like you would on a J hook. Big hook with big barb, set it hard and more than once.

Hook size for that big of a fish I would recommend 10/0 or larger. I don't know that brand matters too much. Although I like Gamakatsu hooks because they always seem to be sharp when I get them. But I have not tried their new 10/0 size yet.

The live bait thing is most important for catching a flathead but all catfish will hit live bait. It is just that Flatheads prefer live bait more than the others in the family.

Shad and Skipjack are preferred by some because they are a natural bait for catfish in a lot of areas but not all. Bluegill and suckers are also very good live bait as well as cut bait. But because they will stay active more than other species they have good advantages.

Since you did not list your State in your profile where it said "Location", I have no idea what your local laws allow. You should change that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
North Carolina
You set the hook on a Kahle hook just like you would on a J hook. Big hook with big barb, set it hard and more than once.

Hook size for that big of a fish I would recommend 10/0 or larger. I don't know that brand matters too much. Although I like Gamakatsu hooks because they always seem to be sharp when I get them. But I have not tried their new 10/0 size yet.

The live bait thing is most important for catching a flathead but all catfish will hit live bait. It is just that Flatheads prefer live bait more than the others in the family.

Shad and Skipjack are preferred by some because they are a natural bait for catfish in a lot of areas but not all. Bluegill and suckers are also very good live bait as well as cut bait. But because they will stay active more than other species they have good advantages.

Since you did not list your State in your profile where it said "Location", I have no idea what your local laws allow. You should change that.

Premium Member
I see it is NC. But your will get asked that a lot so I would recommend that you just go in and change it so it will show under where your avatar is. Just click on your name at the top right, them click to bring up your profile. Then select Info. Where is says Location, type North Carolina. And you done.

tight lines.

Premium Member
I will put a vote in for the eagle claw 2022 in 10/0 You will need to touch it up before using them, but they have a big gap and you aren't going to bend them. I have had really good luck using them. Which alot of hooks are capable of catching and holding a fish that size, it really depends on how well you get them hooked, and that's never a guarantee.
When I go to the Ms river and use big baits, the 2022 is pretty much what I use.

Registered
Blake:

I use the following hooks and sizes for big baits:

Gamakatsu Big River J 10/0, 12/0

Eagle Claw King Kahle 7/0, 10/0

Team Catfish Super J 10/0

Team Catfish Super Circle 12/0

First thing I do is mash the barb with a pair of pliers and file the point with a file until it sticks in my thumbnail....so the hook comes out of the fish ( and you ) easier.

You need big hooks like this with lively 10"-14" shad, 7"-9" bluegills, 10"-16" suckers or Northern River Redhorse to make sure you get a hook in fish's mouth since a catfish may grab the head of a bait and your hook is in the tail or the opposite and the hook never penetrates the jaw but may stick back in bait preventing a solid hook up.

I always make sure the hook is big enough for the bait size.

90% of the time I get the fish in the corner of the mouth and the hook pops right out for safe release of the catfish.

However big baits, big hooks and heavy tackle don't always result in big fish.

You would be surprised at what size bait a 5-10 pound channel, blue or flathead catfish will grab?

I drift, bottom and float fish these baits depending on body of water and current

Banned
I generally use the old story of 1/0 per inch of bait. i.e a 5" bluegill gets a 5/0 hook.

After a baitfish crosses over 8", I generally go with a two hook harness. I carry some 12/0 and 16/0 but the wire gauge is really thick and heavy. I feel like it "deadens" the bait too much. That is just an opinion btw, no proof of that.

I will usually put two Gamakatsu 8/0 (octopus, octopus circle or big river or a combination of those) in tandem for most of my baits over 10" in length.

That is what works for me

Registered
Blake:

I use the following hooks and sizes for big baits:

Gamakatsu Big River J 10/0, 12/0

Eagle Claw King Kahle 7/0, 10/0

Team Catfish Super J 10/0

Team Catfish Super Circle 12/0

First thing I do is mash the barb with a pair of pliers and file the point with a file until it sticks in my thumbnail....so the hook comes out of the fish ( and you ) easier.

You need big hooks like this with lively 10"-14" shad, 7"-9" bluegills, 10"-16" suckers or Northern River Redhorse to make sure you get a hook in fish's mouth since a catfish may grab the head of a bait and your hook is in the tail or the opposite and the hook never penetrates the jaw but may stick back in bait preventing a solid hook up.

I always make sure the hook is big enough for the bait size.

90% of the time I get the fish in the corner of the mouth and the hook pops right out for safe release of the catfish.

However big baits, big hooks and heavy tackle don't always result in big fish.

You would be surprised at what size bait a 5-10 pound channel, blue or flathead catfish will grab?

I drift, bottom and float fish these baits depending on body of water and current
How do you get the bait to stay on if you de- barb it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts