Tying off

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by gilmafam, Nov 16, 2006.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Sometimes when catfishing or other fishing you want to tie off to a tree or even cat tails. I have found that by running a rope through a length of pvc pipe 5 feet or so, and then making a noose at the end is an excellant way to tie off. just place the noose over the object, pull tight, and tie off to a cleat. The neet thing is that you stay away from where you are attached by the length of the pole. when you want to move on, loosen it and shake some slack, and then prepare the loop for the next snag to tie off too. This method keeps you out of the spiders and stuff in the bushes.:big_smile:

2. gilmafam

State:
    California
    “For Tying Off”

A little addition to my earlier posting….. I keep three of these pvc poles for use….. two about 5 ft long, and 1 short one for tying off at the docks or what ever.

Drill a 3/8” hole at the end of the pvc pipe…. Leave enough meat (material) to give it strength. Start at the loop, and thread a good wear resistant rope…. I used some mtn climbing rope 5-7 mm and go through the end of the pvc, and then out the hole, and tie off a good not…. Maybe …. Heat the knot to set the fibers… then, somehow, feed or pull the other end thru to the opposite end of pipe…. Here you tie another good knot. I used a big washer to keep the knot from going back up the pipe. To use the “stand off” or “Gilmafang” as I call it, come in close to where you want to tie off….place the noose over the snag or rock out cropping and pull the rope tight and keep it taught and tie of to a cleat….. When you want to leave or move loosen at the cleat, shake and or pull some slack, and you are ready for the next placement.. Be sure to have the loop ready…. Always be ready. Again…. The neat thing is that not only are you are tying off, you are staying away 5 -6 feet and not rubbing or squealing against your boats finish or Scaring off them fish.

I have some pictures.... I'll have to work at inserting to this site as I am new at this web stuff

Enjoy,

Gilmafam

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I am sorry not to have been able to insert pics on earlier post.

I may be able to attach a visual of this contraption....as my computer, or is it me, that is somewhat unable at times....

You are looking at the loop.. I have several of these. one is 2ft long, and 2 at 5ft.

Attached Files: