Tying knots with heavy mono leaders

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by BajaCoop, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    For those of you that use heavy mono leaders(mine is 80lb berkely big game leader line) I was wondering what type of knot you generally use. I have tried the palomar and a regular fishermans knot and they don't seem to cinch up very well.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I too use 80# big game for leaders. I use the improved Clinch knot. It's really the only knot I can get down tight to the eye of the hook. The palomar knot is to loose a long with many other knots I have tried. To really get it down tight, sometimes i hook the hook to my driftmaster rod holder and pull on it.

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I use crimps for anything over 30#, which generally means a jump to 50#. . if I was fishing 80#mono like you guys do, I'd definitely go straight to a crimp without thought.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Crimp - please explain....never heard of that.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
  6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    A crimp is a salt water thing. You use a barrel sleeve and and put the mono through it and then through the hook or swivel, than use use a crimping tool that looks like a pair of bolt cutters. You have to be careful and get the right crimp for the right size line. they also make the same setup with wire cable. Hope this helps.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use 50 Ande for leader.
    I use palomar knots. I'll hang the hook around anything conveinent, spit on the knot and slowly build the pulling pressure to tighten things up.

The nature of a palomar knot is that the harder you pull the tighter the knot gets. Dont cut the tag end too close to the knot.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never used 80 lb. mono line but like Mark J i use 50 lb. ande clear for leaders. I used to use the improved cinch knot but switched to the palomar and like it a lot better. Thats one thing i like about ande, it ties strong knots.

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Don't think that crimp's are a "salt water thing"... Many freshwater fishermen use them when needing heavy leaders like you do for big cats, and striped bass or when a wire leader or at least a thick leader is needed for toothy critters like Musky and Pike.
    They make crimps for diameters around 30# and up. The pliers are more like the wire crimps you probably already have in your tool box for electrical wiring, in fact if you have a "nice" pair of wire crimps, you already have the crimps for fishing:wink:

Not a necessity by any means, but it is an option and one more "tool" to add to your arsenal. There are pro's and con's like with any thing we use, I just happen to prefer them over knots when using heavy polymer lines.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    One thing ya forgot to mention is that is that electrical crimping pliers are point to cup which is fine for steel leaders. What ya need for mono is cup to cup. It also helps if you just melt the tag end of your mono with a lighter to create a ball and tighten it up against the crimp before applying the tool. :wink:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I agree with ya. I use 30-40 pound Big Game and have no problem with a Palomar knot. I usually have some kind of oily bait or just wipe my forehead since i"ve been in the sun and that makes a great lubricant for knot tying.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You can call it a Ozzies sweaty knot.....:smile2: I thought about buying that Mason crimpping set but never had. One more tool in my "arsenal" wouldn't hurt.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Didn't forget anything.. in fact provided a very detailed article link.... you can use tip to cup effectively and I have done so for many years before I broke down and bought some crimper's just for the tackle chest... :wink:

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres some pics for ya.

Attached Files:

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Take it easy chief, just comparing apples to oranges here.

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Palomar knot here as well. It's easy, incredibly strong, and easy for me to tie in the dark.... even when I'm waist deep in bud light cans.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I just copyrighted that name. "Ozzy's 10:40 am wait". LOL:eek:oooh:

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I was using the improved clinch knot with 85lb mono in 1972 but these days I have 80lb mono on one reel but I do use it for leaders on other rigs.I use a palomar knot to the hook and clinch knot to the swivel.I just spit on the knot and work it till it's tight.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I generally use crimps for any mono over 50#, but up to and including 50# I use an improved clinch knot. Just remember, the smaller the diameter of the mono, the more wraps you use; the greater the diameter, the fewer wraps. On 50# I'll only use 3 or 4 wraps; 4 or 5 on 30# test; and 5 or 6 on anything smaller than that. Don't forget to moisten the knot before you pull it tight.

20. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I suppose since this was a "knot" thread, I should offer a knot option... when I have to tie heavy polymer lines I use a three turn thumb knot (yes, it's a salt water thing too) for most terminal tackle, and the tube knot (also known as a nail knot) for snelling hooks.
    Since I know someone will ask:
    Tube/nail knot:
    http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/deepsea-tube-knot.htm