Tying hook directly to Braid main line.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by PaJay-p, Nov 12, 2008.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Does anyone ever tie there hook to braided line that is there main line? I was wondering if the fish would be spooked, ecspecially with colored line like tracer yellow or bright green.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would not do that because the braid line frays to bad even the cats can cause it to fray That is why you a heavey leader so them nicks do not bother it as bad .

hope this helps

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jay
    I use a swivel to eliminate twist........then add a leader which is also braid and have no problems at all

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I tie mainline directly to my hooks, mono and braid...seems to work for me.
    Been using Palomar knot lately and no problems.

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Agreed.

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have to agree with Harold on this one. The only problem I have with braid is that it does fray especially around the hook, imho.:sad2:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    When I was first starting to get serious about catfishing I fished like that, with the hook tied to the braid main line and a sinker that could slide all of the way to the hook. The simple rigging did probably cut down on snag ups, and I caught a lot of fish like that... but along with all the fish I landed that way I also lost a couple of really nice ones due to line abrasion close to the hook. So now I use either 30-50lb mono for leader, or a special extra thick and abrasion resistant braid that was made for big fish ocean fishing, tied to the main line with a swivel. The swivel also prevents some line twist and acts as a sinker stop.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    It wont spook um but it may stripe um.:tounge_out: think of what it does to you when you pull on it bare handed. ive left a few cats with a line down there back.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always Carolina rig with a mono leader. A braid leader always gets wrapped around my main line for some reason.

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Wow if this guy uses the Polymer then it must be the best! He is the MAN!

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, A young Scottish fellow taught me how to tie it. It works best with blurred vision,either, from sweat running into your eyes, or imbibing cervezas en mass!!
    The good news is, is, is,, Hey, how's the river?? any water in it???

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't think that tying the hook directly to braided line will spook catfish; they don't seem to be very line shy. I have no problem when attaching trotline hooks to 100# test braided nylon dropper lines. But there are a couple of good reasons to use a mono leader. The first has already been mentioned; frequent fraying of the line near the hook, requiring constant trimming back of your braided line. Second, using a mono leader that's a little lighter test than the braided line means that when you get hung up and have to break off, the leader will break, rather than somewhere in your braided line. And braided line is just too expensive to be breaking off.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Second, using a mono leader that's a little lighter test than the braided line means that when you get hung up and have to break off, the leader will break, rather than somewhere in your braided line. And braided line is just too expensive to be breaking off.>

Absolutely the truth! One other point of interest is that the mono or fluorocarbon leader acts as a shock absorber, resulting in better hookups in my opinion. I would NEVER tie a hook directly to the braid. Just my opinion.
    Bill in SC

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I too ECHO the guidance of NOT attaching the Hook Directly!!!! 1. Cats will roll when been brought in and this make a Swivel a Big Positive. 2. The Braid will Cut the fish ( it also takes the slime away and allows the fish to be attacked by Bacteria) if it tangles when they are rolloing. 3. Using a Lighter line for the leader will definitely make a difference when you are HUNG Up. (A Special Braid that is THICKER can be used as stated earlier that will allow the fish to roll without harming it also.) 4. Changing the type of hook is much easier when you use a leader. 5. The Mainline Braid can also be Cut by their fins! JMHO!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I got a #26 blue the other night and he had 3 hooks in him . One of the hooks had some line on it still and it was braid .

I'm like most , I use a mono leader for abrasion .

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not use braided line, I think it solved my fraying problem.

17. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I lost a monster cat when I first started being serious about cattin'. I fought that thing for a hour and a half because my reel just would not pull him in, and I wasn't about to just give up. He finally got off because he had rolled on the bottom that whole time and when he made a short run at me instead of away from me.......well, I had a HUGE birdnest and he started to run out to the middle of the river. He got off, but if I had used a swivel that fish wouldn't been mine. (maybe!) I would like to think so. I almost had him in when he ran at me. The crowd that had gathered to watch, (yes I said crowd because I had 2 of my kids with me and a bunch of people just wanted to know why my rod was doubled over), was really disappointed. Not as much as me though. I learned my lesson. Always use a heavey duty swivel!!!:angry: