Tying Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 28, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Which side of eye is line supposed to come out of in order to make hook work properly?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hooks with up or down eyes are designed to be snelled, although other knots will work. Straight eye hooks can be tied with your preferred knot.
    The idea is to get a straight line of pull on the hook, line and shank of hook in line when under tension.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Bam has it right. The standard circle hook like the ones from Team Catfish (
    [​IMG]) just require your favorite knot. You don't have to snell these.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use octopus circles, so i snell them using the uni snell knot. i have never lost a fish at the knot yet, and i have caught some good ones.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just tie mine in a granny knot

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    According to some tests I read, snelling a straight eye circle hook improved the hookup by 30%. When snelling straight eye hook the line goes in from the front.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a23: i agree with that also griz .

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I beg to differ I have not noticed a snell knot out perform a palomar or any other kind of knot. Although I will say use what knot you have confidence in. I use palomar and improved clinch knots only.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Personally I don't use circle hooks, but I ran across a 6 year study done on them vs J hooks. What I posted was the findings from this study about using different knots. Not sure if I can post the link on here but if anyone wants to read it pm me or just google circle fishing hooks( it's the second link on the list)

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Cool thanks, I'm all for reading...

11. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I was watching Hank Parker one time and he had a special way to tie a knot for a circle hook. It was not a palomar.

I'm sorry but I forgot how he tied it and have been trying since then to find his method on the web.

12. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I use the snell knot it works great.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I snell all of my hooks and it works well for me.

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been trying to learn the Snell Knot but I am just not getting it. I went to the animated knot website but am still cornfused.
    :eek:oooh::confused2:

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Go to the library on this site. Some good info there.

16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rob, Here is a simple and "effective" snell method. Hold your hook in your left hand between your thumb and index finger (hook eye facing to your right) run your line through eye, about 2/3 the length of hook shank and then pinch the "tag" end w/ your thumb and index finger. Then take your right hand and make 7-8 wraps around the hook shank ( hold the colis tightly) then run the loose end back through the eye and pull tight. Great Knot. I also take a cigerette lighter and burn my tag end, this would help prevent it from pulling out.:wink:Very simple knot to tie and effective!

17. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Duckalot; Don't know if this will help or not. The way I tie mine is to hold the hook by the bend, bring the line through the eye. use extra line, don't skimp, skimping makes the tie much much harder. come up and forward with the line forming a loop along the line of the bend of the hook. Pinch off the loop. take the tag end and make 7 - 10 turns around the line and shank of the hook. Run the tag end back through the loop in your finders. Pull both end away from each other. Don't get too frustrated, after a few trys it will come easy. Pm me if you need a little more help. katcaller

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats how i snell mine :wink:

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Outstanding; thanks.