Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hooks with up or down eyes are designed to be snelled, although other knots will work. Straight eye hooks can be tied with your preferred knot.
The idea is to get a straight line of pull on the hook, line and shank of hook in line when under tension.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i use octopus circles, so i snell them using the uni snell knot. i have never lost a fish at the knot yet, and i have caught some good ones.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
According to some tests I read, snelling a straight eye circle hook improved the hookup by 30%. When snelling straight eye hook the line goes in from the front.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I beg to differ I have not noticed a snell knot out perform a palomar or any other kind of knot. Although I will say use what knot you have confidence in. I use palomar and improved clinch knots only.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Personally I don't use circle hooks, but I ran across a 6 year study done on them vs J hooks. What I posted was the findings from this study about using different knots. Not sure if I can post the link on here but if anyone wants to read it pm me or just google circle fishing hooks( it's the second link on the list)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was watching Hank Parker one time and he had a special way to tie a knot for a circle hook. It was not a palomar.

I'm sorry but I forgot how he tied it and have been trying since then to find his method on the web.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Go to the library on this site. Some good info there.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rob, Here is a simple and "effective" snell method. Hold your hook in your left hand between your thumb and index finger (hook eye facing to your right) run your line through eye, about 2/3 the length of hook shank and then pinch the "tag" end w/ your thumb and index finger. Then take your right hand and make 7-8 wraps around the hook shank ( hold the colis tightly) then run the loose end back through the eye and pull tight. Great Knot. I also take a cigerette lighter and burn my tag end, this would help prevent it from pulling out.:wink:Very simple knot to tie and effective!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Duckalot; Don't know if this will help or not. The way I tie mine is to hold the hook by the bend, bring the line through the eye. use extra line, don't skimp, skimping makes the tie much much harder. come up and forward with the line forming a loop along the line of the bend of the hook. Pinch off the loop. take the tag end and make 7 - 10 turns around the line and shank of the hook. Run the tag end back through the loop in your finders. Pull both end away from each other. Don't get too frustrated, after a few trys it will come easy. Pm me if you need a little more help. katcaller

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Rob, Here is a simple and "effective" snell method. Hold your hook in your left hand between your thumb and index finger (hook eye facing to your right) run your line through eye, about 2/3 the length of hook shank and then pinch the "tag" end w/ your thumb and index finger. Then take your right hand and make 7-8 wraps around the hook shank ( hold the colis tightly) then run the loose end back through the eye and pull tight. Great Knot. I also take a cigerette lighter and burn my tag end, this would help prevent it from pulling out.:wink:Very simple knot to tie and effective!
Thats how i snell mine :wink:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Personally I don't use circle hooks, but I ran across a 6 year study done on them vs J hooks. What I posted was the findings from this study about using different knots. Not sure if I can post the link on here but if anyone wants to read it pm me or just google circle fishing hooks( it's the second link on the list)
Outstanding; thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.