tying braided line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bearcat, Dec 3, 2005.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    try a palomar knot. I use it on power pro braid and it has never failed me.

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sc fisherman, if you are using spiderwire fusion, I found that it was tough to tie with any kind of knot. The other types of spiderwire I had no problem with.

4. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    the brochure that comes with power-pro recommends the uni-knot. this knot is the VERY BEST!!! in my opinion.

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    In the spring, I snag spoonbill and asian carp on the Mississippi river. The repeated casting of 2 - 3 oz lead/treble hooks and fighting fish 30 to 50 lbs in the dam tailrace requires a great knot. The Palomar has really worked well for me. I use 50 to 80lb powerpro with a 50lb mono leader to a 10/0 treble. Sometimes the fight lasts 40 or 50 minutes and you really need a good knot system. Believe me, you will be more careful about knots after fishing this style and having a fish on for over 30 minutes. Hannibal Mike

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    palomar an berkley nots are the only two i use on my braided lines i prefer the berkley not myself

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I find the Uni knot more difficult to tie than the Palamor. I've also had some success tying the regular clinch knot, then running the tag end back under the loop through the eye of the hook..

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am sure that I have seen it, but what is the berkley knot? They do a lot of research, so it is probably good. Is it easy to tie? Thanks Hannibal Mike

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I tie a palomar knot and before I cinch it down, I moisten it. Never had a problem.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ditto,always spit/lick/moisten the knot before tightening.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    what is the term for the " Fishermans Knot" ?? you know when you run the line through the eye, twists about 7 times......spit.......pull tight....

12. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    You probably mean the clinch knot and there is the improved clinch knot where you take the tail end of the line back through the loop above the hook eye gap. I use the clinch knot out of habit on mono when fishing for smaller fish. There was a man at the St Louis Sports expo last Feb with a knot testing machine. It was fun to try your knot and watch others tie knots. The machine put a steady pull on the line until it broke or the line snapped. He had 10lb line to use and the clinch knot gave up pretty easily. It also showed that how you snugged the knot (and moistened) made a difference. His booth was popular! I also have a video that shows berkley testing line and knots. I need to review it for the Berkley Knot. It must be on the video. Hannibal Mike

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    so I should experiment with a new knot then?? i've caught some pretty big fish using the clinch knot.............using just 20 lb Trilene

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    There are quite a few different knots that will hold up until the line itself gives out and breaks. About the only difference in them is the looks. I use to tie a fancy one, and never had one come out, but now tie the Palomar knot because it's simple and easy. Doesn't look as good, but the line still gives up before my knot does. Dick

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    On the spiderline I use the braid , I tie either a clinch knot or a polomar knot. Although I am using the polomar knot alot more now.