Tyger River Early Morning

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by sarSWAMPFOX, Jun 22, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Since I didn't have to work this morning my 11 yr old son didn't feel he had to go to school. So we got up just got up this morning and decided to go down to the river and wet a hook. My boy just was not gonna let me rig his rod. He was gonna do it his way. I kinda smiled and said OK lets see how good you do. He finaly ask me to help him tie the hook. I saw he had only put an 1/8 oz shot on for weight. I told him it was not gonna hold in the current. But he said that was the way he wanted it and thats the way he got it. The entire time he was setting up I already had my lines out with 1 1/2 oz flat river lead with no nibbles at all. He cast his line up steam and as I predicted it just rolled and bounce back down stream. As I was explaining how he needed a larger weight to get it to stay, you should have seen the look he gave me as his line tighten up and he set the hook on his first cat on his first cast. I was speechless. As I removed the hook from the channel cats mouth, he cast his second rod with the same outcome. It seemed as if he couldn't miss. He would cast up and let the bait roll down stream and about every third cast he caught a fish. All the while my my rod tips sat motionless. All I could do was kinda coach him on where to cast. He had a ball showing up his old man. He did say I could use his other rod if I wanted to. He ended up with 24 cats between 1 lb & 1 1/2 lb in about 3 hrs time. The bite came to a stop as the sun got higher. We laughed and joked all the way home, as I just waited on him to offer to teach me how to fillet the fish but that part he never said.LOL

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    So, what did we learn today? Can an old dog learn a new trick? :big_smile:

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one being out fished by his kids. And I'm sure you had you're time - glad to see he's having his. And I know in a way, you were having yours, too, just by watching him. Been there and enjoyed that. But remember, right now he's thinking he can't wait to do it again! The sun will be going back down. Good luck this evening. :wink:

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I learned quite a bit from that trip. 1. Don't always over think the situation, start off with what feels right. 2. Don't always try to get someone to do what you want them to do because if they don't get to do it there way you will forever hear about how there way would have been better. 3. Find out where and how your son has been fishing with his grand mother two days before you take him.LOL

And for all you fathers of youngsters out there. Always remember this when your son or daughter messes with your tools,tackle,golf clubs,or what ever else you may use, that its your stuff they want to mess with not the guy down the street cause they want to be like you not the guy down the street.

5. TWEEDER

TWEEDER New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey man that aint the first time Jaybird out fished ya now is it. And I bet that if I was to take Jaybird fishing with me, He would show me alot of your little secrets as well. By the way what does he know about lake monty :wink:.