Tygart River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by jrm11, Dec 6, 2005.

1. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I've been fishing the Tygart for years catching a variety of fish trout, smallmouth, walleye, catfish, you name it it's more than likely the species of fish is there.

Just wondering if anyone else fish's the Tygart River

2. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    We fish the tygart lake a few times a year, with good luck. when I lived in fairmont, the tygart was dead, to much AMD( acid mine drainage) :mad: If I were to fish tygart today for cats I would try Hammond, below Valley Falls, now the only way to get there is to walk downstream from the Park :cursing: or from Whitehall drive to the opposite side of the river from the park and walk down :cursing: . There were some holes in the river that are more that 40 ft deep, I was with rescue divers looking for Drowning victims in the 80's as the river was dead at that time! If you figure a good way to get there let me know, I would guess that would be the place in the river for BIG Flatheads

3. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I agree with you about the nice holes below Valley falls down through hammond it's very nice water. Alot of Muskie is caught down that away.
    Ive personally haven't fished those waters for faltheads due to the access problem u mentioned. Access by four wheeler is your best bet,but getting permission to get a right-a-way is another story. The coal mines use to own a route by road blocked by locked gate. Use to have the key but another mines bought the property. Im working on it !!!! ( i'll let u know if i get another key ) My gut tells me that if u could get down there and fish u could produce some MONSTERS i believe u would agree. Theres a stream that dumps in above the lake that produces big flatheads. I forget the name of it right of top but it's notorious for flatheads. "below arden" The tygart has come along ways from what u mentioned. I believe it's one of the best smallmouth streams locally. I'll buy 4 dz shiners and be out of them within an hour in this one certain spot... lol not telling.

Ive caught 3 1/2 4 lbs through that way...

Thanks for the quick reply...

Also as you know the catfishing will not be good until next spring but ive taken full advantage of it and stocking up for next season.

NEW poles all that kind of stuff.

You bet that i'll fish it and post my findings of the river.

I know that u say everything else is bait except flatheads, but if u like to fish for other species can't beat it trust me !!!!!